Honored Contributor

🌶 Chili Today 🌶

It is a chilly, windy day, perfect for chili. It's simmering on the stove now, and I can't wait for lunch ! 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: 🌶 Chili Today 🌶

@QVCkitty1 Woman Very HappyI have some in the freezer!   I LOVE LOVE it!  All year long!  Mostly with no beans; sometimes with a few beans--dark red kidney preferred.

And some heat!!!!  My go to was 2 Alarm Chili seasoning then I measured out all the packets, wrote my own recipe, used that for years and now just throw it in--no measuring spoon needed!  

Enjoy your special treat!!!!!! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@QVCkitty1 Woman Very HappyI have some in the freezer!   I LOVE LOVE it!  All year long!  Mostly with no beans; sometimes with a few beans--dark red kidney preferred.

And some heat!!!!  My go to was 2 Alarm Chili seasoning then I measured out all the packets, wrote my own recipe, used that for years and now just throw it in--no measuring spoon needed!  

Enjoy your special treat!!!!!! Woman Very Happy

@Sooner , I used to buy the packets, but now I just use the " throw it in " method.  One thing I always include is a can of Rotel.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 EXCELLENT!  Rotel!  Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It is a chilly, windy day, perfect for chili. It's simmering on the stove now, and I can't wait for lunch ! 

@QVCkitty1      I just sat down and decided to check the forums...Funny...I actually just finished making chili for the grandkids.  Yes this is the perfect day.  The next thing is twice baked potatoes.  I also prepared little cups of toppings since they each like something different.   So glad I am now retired and have time to cook for them when I get the requests.   🤗

Respected Contributor

@Sooner   which chili powder do you use?   

read somewhere 2-Alarm uses Ancho?    have tried to dupe 2-alarm but it never tastes the same.

now i want some chili tonight! 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Sounds good. Years ago I made it from scratch but since it's only me (late DH loved it) I stock up on Hormel's chili with NO beans and a big bag of shredded mild cheddar.

I can't imagine eating chili without a big bunch of melted cheddar cheese and today's weather here in western WA is perfect for it.

Honored Contributor

Boy. you got that right. I did not realize how cold it was and that there were so many open windows in the house until I woke up this morning. BRRR!

Had to put on fleece pants and fleece jacket.

Wish the other people in the household liked chili as much as I do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I too have chili cooking in the crockpot!   DH is not a spicy person so I have to tone down the heat.  Even so it comes out so good!  I do put some chili powder and cumin, along with all the other typical ingredients. (beans,etc)   We are snobs though, I bought a couple of steak filets, trimmed and cut them and put those in for the meat.  It smells heavenly Smiley Happy

We'll top it with chedder cheese and guacamole.

Also it's DH' s birthday today and it was his request.

Honored Contributor

Great reminder.  I know I have some turkey chili in the freezer and it's nice and cool today (40s), so I think I'll pull one out for lunch later.   

I vacuum seal them in the perfect size to just fit into one of my 1qt LeCreuset pots.  Put it on low/med heat, covered, for a while to thaw and heat.  It's usually two servings for me (or one for the husband), so I'm set for a couple of days. Lunch is my main meal of theh day, around 3:30-4pm.

This is great!  I didn't know what I was going to have for today's lunch.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy