Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I notice that they now only tell you the weight and not the diameter. Usually the ones they sell here are 6 inch or 8 inch IIRC. The ones I make are larger, because I use a bigger springform pan. 

I don't have a problem with them selling them, if people want to pay that price to buy one it doesn't matter to me. But cheesecake isn't difficult, ( and I'm not talking about using a premade crust ) nor are the ingredients expensive. The price does include shipping though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I always order whole cheesecakes (14 slices) when the occasion arises at my local Barnes & Noble.  They have CheeseCake Factory as their vendor for $40.  I use my membership card & get an additional 10% off.  Their cheesecakes are top of the line IMO!  

And they really could serve 18 people.

Honored Contributor

What Cosco sells and what most consider cheesecake is just a desert with some cream cheese and can not even be considered cheesecake!!  Junior's is by far the best cheesecake ever and well worth the money.  Even if you only get 10 pieces it's only $7 a slice  and you can get nearly double that.  A piece of cream cheese desert with graham cracker crumbs at most lower end restaurants runs $6 or $7 dollars.  I have Junior's cookbook and it is rather costly and time consuming to make their plain cheesecake (in a normal size pan and the one they showed is larger) with the right ingredients and no generic substitutions (and I've tried using generic and there is a huge difference).  Real cheesecake does not have graham crackers anywhere!!  To each their own but I don't want and won't waste my money on just a cream cheese with graham crackers desert!!!

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

What Cosco sells and what most consider cheesecake is just a desert with some cream cheese and can not even be considered cheesecake!!  Junior's is by far the best cheesecake ever and well worth the money.  Even if you only get 10 pieces it's only $7 a slice  and you can get nearly double that.  A piece of cream cheese desert with graham cracker crumbs at most lower end restaurants runs $6 or $7 dollars.  I have Junior's cookbook and it is rather costly and time consuming to make their plain cheesecake (in a normal size pan and the one they showed is larger) with the right ingredients and no generic substitutions (and I've tried using generic and there is a huge difference).  Real cheesecake does not have graham crackers anywhere!!  To each their own but I don't want and won't waste my money on just a cream cheese with graham crackers desert!!!

I don't doubt your experience, however I did order a Junior's cheesecake once, and was not impressed. To each his own, I would never tell anyone to spend their money. It just seemed excessive to me , for what you get.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I agree it seems pricey, and this is not something I would spend oney on as I could make it myself, go to Costco, go to Cheesecake Factory, or pick up Eli's at our local restaurant supply store.  That being said, so what?

Not everyone has these resources or the ability (or desire) to bake it themselves, and ultimately, how people spend their money is none of our business.   I m ure we all buy things that others would see as frivolous, costly, or downright silly.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

I agree it seems pricey, and this is not something I would spend oney on as I could make it myself, go to Costco, go to Cheesecake Factory, or pick up Eli's at our local restaurant supply store.  That being said, so what?

Not everyone has these resources or the ability (or desire) to bake it themselves, and ultimately, how people spend their money is none of our business.   I m ure we all buy things that others would see as frivolous, costly, or downright silly.

Did I not say that if you are  able, if you have the equipment, you can make a cheesecake ?? Also I pointed out that I would never tell anyone how to spend their money. Ok ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Remember that Junior's makes the "NY style" cheesecake.  It's really rich and dense, and not everyone cares for that.  It's a specific recipe for a specific cake.  Also, there's only so much you can eat in one sitting, so if a regular Junior's cake is only for a couple of people, it will go a very long way.  I've made cheesecake, too, but it wasn't the Junior's variety.

Respected Contributor

I've never been one to comment on how people spend their money, as I've been known to treat myself to mailorder goodies from time to time.  Good grief, $70.00 for just one cheesecake though?  Junior's are indeed delicious, but are they worth that kind of money when most of us have at least one high end bakery in our area that would charge much less?

I would think that QVC's buying power could lower that price significantly for their customers. 

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

@Topaz GemThe largest cheesecake any good bakery in my area sells weighs anywhere from 8 to 12 ounces and starts at $20 and goes up.  All these cakes are much, much larger so the price isn't as far out as I expected given the excitement of this thread.

I don't have any need for so much cake, but if I did, the price wouldn't turn me off.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Topaz GemThe largest cheesecake any good bakery in my area sells weighs anywhere from 8 to 12 ounces and starts at $20 and goes up.  All these cakes are much, much larger so the price isn't as far out as I expected given the excitement of this thread.

I don't have any need for so much cake, but if I did, the price wouldn't turn me off.

Excitement ???

Daniel Patrick Moynihan