Honored Contributor

I went to five different grocery stores in the past 2 days looking for cauliflower.  Actual cauliflower, not already riced or mashed cauliflower in packages.  The only thing I found was one anemic little head the size of my fist, with a bit of brown in some spots. 

I went to two Giant food stores, Wegmans, Safeway, and Fresh Market. It's probably a regional thing (northern VA). It's so frustrating.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper  This morning, I was at a local greenhouse that also sells their own produce. They must have had 15  heads of cauliflower and 20 of broccoli. I bought orange cauliflower there on Thursday. Are there any farm stands in your ares, because this is prime time for all the cruciferous veggies.

Honored Contributor

None to be found locally when I was looking for it 2 weeks ago; trucker daughter brought some from NC.   

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper   DH also couldn't find cauliflower last week and when he found some a few days ago they were very small and brown inside.  We like to steam cauliflower and broccoli together.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cauliflower Shortage???

[ Edited ]

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper   DH also couldn't find cauliflower last week and when he found some a few days ago they were very small and brown inside.  We like to steam cauliflower and broccoli together.

@KathyM23   I'm hooked on roasted cauliflower with chili oil and tossed over red pepper hummus.  I was making it every weekend.

I'll drive to Eastern Market in DC tomorrow for the local growers' harvest. Good Idea  @PA Mom-mom  I'll try there.   

Honored Contributor

Sounds like there may still.be a big farm to market transportation problem.  How disheartened it would be to grow crops then not be able to get them to stores.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I went to five different grocery stores in the past 2 days looking for cauliflower.  Actual cauliflower, not already riced or mashed cauliflower in packages.  The only thing I found was one anemic little head the size of my fist, with a bit of brown in some spots. 

I went to two Giant food stores, Wegmans, Safeway, and Fresh Market. It's probably a regional thing (northern VA). It's so frustrating.  

well, if there has to be a shortage, this is the shortage i would be all for. LOL

want me to drive some down to you from baltimore @Caaareful Shopper ? Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Cauliflower Shortage???

[ Edited ]

The vegan trend has turned Cauliflower in to triple duty as pasta, rice and veggie. We now can get pizza made from cauliflower and as a replacement  for rice. The pizza version isn't great.  Don't like cauliflower as pasta.  It's OK as rice.  Better tasting in some cases.  I don't have it much as my husband hates it.   He does like rice and he resents me trying to use more veggies.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

well, if there has to be a shortage, this is the shortage i would be all for. LOL

want me to drive some down to you from baltimore @Caaareful Shopper ? Smiley Happy

@sunshine45   Funny!  Can you imagine -- a cauliflower exchange???  If the shortage goes on much longer.......I'll bookmark your post Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I suspect the massive drought has something to do with this shortage. The salad bowl growing area in California was heavily impacted as was the rest of the Southwest.

Because of the drought, cotton will be in short supply. Some of the crop was shredded and plowed under because the stalks died or produced little fruit. I have no idea how this will affect the supply since last year was an excellent harvest.