Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking of picking up a 3qt slow cooker/crockpot.  Would that be a good size for two people?  Don't want to cook large amounts and then have to freeze (and forget to useWoman Frustrated).

Also, what's the difference between a slow cooker and a crockpot?  And, which would you recommend?

TIA

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme    Slow cooker and Crockpot are the same thing but Crockpot is a brand name.  Yes, 3 qt would be good for 2 people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SLOW COOKER/CROCKPOT

[ Edited ]

Crockpot/slow cooker are the same thing. I personally prefer one that is programmable vs one that is a manual. I like technology I guess. I have this one and even though it's 7 quarts for just the two of us I still like it. I feel if I'm going to go through all the trouble of cooking I might as well make it worthwhile. That's what freezers are for. 

152113B4-2FAA-4148-B3BE-D141F8B8E48E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme --they are the same thing--I think the Rival brand trademarked crockpot--I had one from the early 70's by Rival that had crockpot in their name---my crock pot is  5 qt oval one and there is only me and my DD. You might want to slow cook a whole chicken in it--delicious, I might add, and a 3qt may be too small. I also use and heartily reccommend ,the crock pot liners too--you get 6 that fit a 3 to 8 qts for under $4. They live by the kitchen wrap in the grocery store. Those things are great for lessening the clean up. My crockpot is Rival and just basic --low and high and warm. I don't need the bells and whistles. Mine works great and I use it often.

Regular Contributor

I so agree about the liners for crock pots - they make clean up so very easy!

Respected Contributor

I would go with a 5 qt.  That size would allow you to fit in a roast or chicken along with veggies.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a 6 quart Crockpot and yes it's just DH and myself.  I use it all the time, I have a whole roaster chicken in there today with onions, carrots, broth and herbs.   Tonight I will make a side of stuffing and gravy.  I like to make soups and chili in the winter and while I know you don't feel you want to freeze, a larger pot does give you a lot more cooking options.   

Honored Contributor

My 4-quart slow cooker is a programmable Hamilton Beach.  I would also suggest that a 6-quart slow cooker will give you more cooking flexibility, I use a KitchenAid model.

Honored Contributor

I only use mine a few times a year for chili.  I don't really like cooking my meat and veggies together in one because everything ends up tasting the same.  I also prefer my veggies dry roasted rather than swimming in liquid. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 3 slow cookers. And I only use the 6 quart slow cooker. The others are smaller.

I use the 6 quart because I know everything that I am cooking will fit with no problems. The ceramic crock can be cumbersome to clean but it does clean easily. 

The 6 quart has all the bells and whistles but I don't use any of them. If the recipe calls for cooking for 6 hours, I cook it for 6 hours. I don't bother setting timer or probe or any of the other features.

And now the cooler weather is here, it will come in handy. Each one of my crockpots are different brands, Hamilton Beach (6 qt), Crockpot (4 qt) and Rival (1 qt). They all worked well. The only reason I use the 6 quart is the size.