Honored Contributor

Re: Cat's head biscuit šŸ±

@GingerPeach 

Being from and currently living in Savannah, I certainly know and love them!

They got their name for being so big and fluffy, the 'size of a cat's head', LOL!

Slather on some honey butter and omg!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm reading a cozy mystery set in Savannah and the author included a reference to a cat's head biscuit.

I'm not from the South, but guessed that it was a very large biscuit. So I looked it up and was happy to learn I guessed right.

What a yummy concept!

Does anyone make these?

Cat head biscuits -- bonnie's | Recipe | Cat head biscuits, Food recipes,  Biscuit recipe

@GingerPeach 

As much as I love cats, never heard of Cat Biscuits...šŸ˜ø.....O/T Also, I love cozy mysteries is that cozy mystery series you mentioned by any chance "Savannah Secrets" If it's the one, what do you think of the series? I was thinking of ordering this series....

Hi @Spurt 

I'm reading the 9th book in the Bailey Cates' series that started with Brownies and Broomsticks . It's one of those cozies that includes recipes at the end, but this 9th book was her first mention of the large sized biscuits. (The first book included a great scone recipe, btw.)

I hadn't heard of the "Savannah Secrets" series, but that sounds intriguing. I am noticing three, by different authors, on amazon that might be the ones you mean. Who is the author, Marlene Chase, Alan Chaput, or Mary Ellis, or maybe one that I missed?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm reading a cozy mystery set in Savannah and the author included a reference to a cat's head biscuit.

I'm not from the South, but guessed that it was a very large biscuit. So I looked it up and was happy to learn I guessed right.

What a yummy concept!

Does anyone make these?

Cat head biscuits -- bonnie's | Recipe | Cat head biscuits, Food recipes,  Biscuit recipe

@GingerPeach 

As much as I love cats, never heard of Cat Biscuits...šŸ˜ø.....O/T Also, I love cozy mysteries is that cozy mystery series you mentioned by any chance "Savannah Secrets" If it's the one, what do you think of the series? I was thinking of ordering this series....

Hi @Spurt 

I'm reading the 9th book in the Bailey Cates' series that started with Brownies and Broomsticks . It's one of those cozies that includes recipes at the end, but this 9th book was her first mention of the large sized biscuits. (The first book included a great scone recipe, btw.)

I hadn't heard of the "Savannah Secrets" series, but that sounds intriguing. I am noticing three, by different authors, on amazon that might be the ones you mean. Who is the author, Marlene Chase, Alan Chaput, or Mary Ellis, or maybe one that I missed?

@GingerPeach 

I love those cozy mysteries that include recipes ......

The author of the "Savannah Secrets" book that I saw is Marlene Chase....the first book in the series is the "The Hidden Gate"

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.ā€
Honored Contributor

Better then being called rat's head I guess.

Think I'll make these. thanks for recipe !

White LIly is getting harder and harder to find.

Can't find in my area of amarillo, tx

when I go back home to visit they quit carrying up around Southern

Indiana too.  Probably something else they will drop.

Frequent Contributor

I'm from Arkansas and never heard of Cat Head biscuits. Then one day a couple of years ago I was driving through a nearby town that had a sign outside of a business advertising Cat Head biscuits. I had to look it up to see what they were. What is funny to me that the town that the locals call (Little Chicago) not the real name, is made up of people from the north.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday there was an episode of Food Paradise all about southern comfort restaurants and the #1 spot went to a place that served a Cat's Head biscuit dish!

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've made these from a former co-worker's recipe that uses both cake and regular flour:

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups cake flour (I like King Arthur's)

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 stick butter cut into 1/2" chunks and softened

4 tbsp shortening cut into 1/2" chunks (I buy the sticks of Crisco)

1 1/4 cup buttermilk

Whisk flours, baking powder and soda, and salt in big bowl.  Use fingers to mix in butter and shortening until dough is texture of coarse meal.  Stir in buttermilk.

Place 6 heaping 1/2-cup portions of dough into greased round cake pan.  Bake in 425 degree oven until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on wire rack. 

Came home from  church fed us then told him  to  get lost and made these, omitting the cake pan and the shape just made them like rolled out and flipped the dough like you  do for flaky biscuits that's how you get layers in a biscuit by the way you keep folding it over on itself about 3 times.

Anyway, took a biscuit  cutter my big tall one and made them high and Lawdy those are good !  When I saw the combo of butter and crisco knew that was a winner. Great recipe and wanted to say thanks for putting it up in here.

It's a keeper.................

jamsjellies-vi.gif

Honored Contributor

@SharkE  So glad you like them.  I'm all for tailoring any recipe to your liking, it's how new recipes are born.