Frequent Contributor

I bought some off brand lids a few years ago at Wal-Mart. I canned pinto beans in the presser canner. All the lids sealed, but a few weeks later I opened a jar. It had went bad. Turns out the whole batch we canned didn't seal right. It all went bad. So frustrating. I stopped buying the Wal-Mart generic brand of jars too. You might get one canning out of them, but they will sometimes break in the pressure canner. It's a real mess and also dangerous.

An older later told me several years ago that you could re-use lids a second time. I've actually done it several times. You can also re-seal the lid on store bought jars too. I usually made just jellies and jams when I reused the lids. I've gotten away from that though when we started using the pressure canner for lots of other stuff. 

I will tell my fiancee to start looking for lids when he's in town. All summer the canning aisle in Wal-Mart was empty. 

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom : Oh my goodness- no . Didn't think anything. I have bad eyes and I have a tendency to give to much information trying to help instead of getting straight to the point.Your triple berry jam sounds delicious.Care to share your recipe? My mother always made the best jelly. Never had a chance to watch her making it because she would make jelly while I was in school .

@Twins Mom wrote:

@SouthernBee 

Yikes, I probably inadvertently insulted you with my typo!  I meant to say that I need to learn how to can applesauce.  And your instructions were lovely - I have so limited knowledge about canning.   I make small step with my triple berry jam.  My mom made it and I have had good success with the process.  Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

Re: Canning Lids

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee 

I use the Sure Gel recipe from pink box - less sugar.  

Triple Berry jam uses 

3  C crushed strawberries

1-1/2  C crushed raspberries

1-1/2  C crushed blackberries

4 1/2  C  sugar

Prepare lids per directions

Mix 1/4 C of measured sugar and 1 box Sure Gel pink box. 

Stir sugar mixture into fruit in saucepot.  Add 1/2 tsp butter or margarine to pot to reduce foaming.

Bring mixture to rolling boil, stir constantly.

Stir in remaining sugar quickly. Return to rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Ladle into jars, cover with kids and screw bands.  Process jams in water for 10 minutes.  Cool.

I have found that I can buy fruit when in season, prepare, crush and put in zip bags and freeze.  When I have time I thaw each fruit and proceed with recipe.

Hope you enjoy.  My mother told me it was important to measure precisely.  I do that before freezing.  

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom : Thank you for taking time to post your very special recipe. This sounds delicious and look forward to trying it.

Honored Contributor

Question please to all of you who have made jams/jellies....

I have not tried canning (yet) but I did make and love Fridge/Freezer jams.

Do I have to use all the sugar listed in the recipes?  They just seem TOO sweet for me.

But will it set right w/ the pectin and everything if I cut back on the sugar a bit?

Will I end up w/ a soupy mess?

I do use the Sure Jell w/ less sugar...but for me, It was still so sweet!

TIA!

I have been wondering this for months and didn't know who to ask!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife : Sorry that I haven't responded earlier. My washing machine died this morning.

Canning recipe- I assume you can still reduce the sugar a little more and still using the low sugar pectin, Considering that my hot pepper jelly recipe  originally called for a 5 pound bag of sugar that I never used and reduced to 3 cups. Then finally reduced to 2 cups of sugar because  didn't want over sweet but to allow the flavor of peppers .

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla : Thank you. That is so cute and made me laugh which is something that I really needed.

@drizzellla wrote:

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

UGH!  So sorry to hear of your appliance issues!  I hope you are able to get it fixed!

Thank you for your reply!

I will def try reducing the sugar next time I make it!

5 lbs if sugar!!  Wowza!

And you reduced to 2 cups and it still set?

Excellent!

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife : Thank you. Just be sure with the reduced sugar to bring to a good rolling boil and cook a few minutes longer  ( something like two or three minutes) and you will probably notice the jelly starting to set.