Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Considering the shelf life of a cake mix is more than a few months, I am sure most of these mixes were purchased a long time ago and have already been consumed.

Their expiration date is March 2019.  Also, it is just a guess that these cake mixes caused an illness.

It almost makes us afraid to eat anything.  America's food is making us sick.

@Carmie,  I bought a Duncan Hines cake mix last week, and its expration date is April 19, 2019. So IMO, it's likely that the recalled boxes that expire in March 2019 were recently purchased.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I would never consume cake mix...a nutritional disaster before the recall.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Considering the shelf life of a cake mix is more than a few months, I am sure most of these mixes were purchased a long time ago and have already been consumed.

Their expiration date is March 2019.  Also, it is just a guess that these cake mixes caused an illness.

It almost makes us afraid to eat anything.  America's food is making us sick.

@Carmie,  I bought a Duncan Hines cake mix last week, and its expration date is April 19, 2019. So IMO, it's likely that the recalled boxes that expire in March 2019 were recently purchased.

From the Duncan Hines website.  The recalled cake mixes were produced in March 2018, so they have been on the shelf for almost 9 months already.  The best by date stamped on the box is 12 months after the date it was produced.

The  recall was made early in November after a few people got sick and the FDA got involved and investigated.  So, those boxes have been out there for a while.

Many of those that got sick ate raw cake batter which is not advisable..

Honored Contributor

I recently read an article on contaminated food that said the pantry item most likely to cause illness is uncooked flour.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Glad I made you laugh @aroc3435!  Feels good to know I made someone smile!  Thanks for letting me know.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting. Guess I missed the other post about it.