Valued Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

Temptations little chicken measuring spoons. Broke the teaspoon first thing and it costs more to have one shipped than its worth. Now it sits taking up space on the counter...missing one tail feather.

Super Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

My husband bought me an ice cream maker back in the Year 2000. I still haven't taken it out of the box! I swear that this summer I'm making ice cream with it. I SWEAR I WILL USE IT THIS SUMMER!!!! lol...

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Trusted Contributor

On 3/3/2015 Rustys mom said:

Way too many to mention them all. I do own a electronic pressure cooker that I bought months ago and it is still sitting in the box unopened. I think I will use it once I over come the fear of it. How can a 57 year old woman be intimidated by a little pressure cooker, an electric one at that? I don't know, but I am. LOL.

My mother loved cooking dinner in her pressure cooker, but she instilled plenty of fear into us kids about that hissing, rattling time bomb spitting on the stovetop. Looking back, I think it may have been over dramatized to great excess so she had peace and quiet in the kitchen while we busied ourselves far from the scary pot that might explode. She never taught us to cook, or how to use that favorite pot of hers, so as an adult I thought I needed to conquer my fears and learn how to get a good meal out of one of those pots for myself. Well, I now have three – one is electric, one is for the stove top, and one is for the microwave and I am still afraid of all of them. They now outnumber me and have formed a gang in the cupboard. Now I have triple the fear and triple the guilt for owning them yet never using them. I keep thinking I should just give them away and then I think I must master them first and then get rid of them. It is on my very long “to do list” – at the very bottom of that list. So don’t think you are alone. I am older than you and still afraid, but have good interntions.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

A whoopie pie pan.

Valued Contributor

Two idiot items one from here and one from our other fav network. I recently bought the egg cooker from the guy~I think his name is Mark Charles? Anyway, your supposed to be able to make hard boiled eggs as well as something close to a poached egg and mini omelettes. Ridiculous item, doesn't work right, and now it's just sitting there. I'll donate it if anyone will take it. Then one time I ordered a rice cooker. It has never even come out of the box! My kids are out on their own, they don't want it. I can't give this thing away! It will be donated as well I guess.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Havarti said:
On 3/3/2015 Rustys mom said:

Way too many to mention them all. I do own a electronic pressure cooker that I bought months ago and it is still sitting in the box unopened. I think I will use it once I over come the fear of it. How can a 57 year old woman be intimidated by a little pressure cooker, an electric one at that? I don't know, but I am. LOL.

My mother loved cooking dinner in her pressure cooker, but she instilled plenty of fear into us kids about that hissing, rattling time bomb spitting on the stovetop. Looking back, I think it may have been over dramatized to great excess so she had peace and quiet in the kitchen while we busied ourselves far from the scary pot that might explode. She never taught us to cook, or how to use that favorite pot of hers, so as an adult I thought I needed to conquer my fears and learn how to get a good meal out of one of those pots for myself. Well, I now have three – one is electric, one is for the stove top, and one is for the microwave and I am still afraid of all of them. They now outnumber me and have formed a gang in the cupboard. Now I have triple the fear and triple the guilt for owning them yet never using them. I keep thinking I should just give them away and then I think I must master them first and then get rid of them. It is on my very long “to do list” – at the very bottom of that list. So don’t think you are alone. I am older than you and still afraid, but have good interntions.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 depglass said:

I have a several years' old bread maker that I was saving for DH's retirement. Well,. he's been retired since Dec. 10 and I haven't pulled it out yet. I guess I figured we would sit around eating bread.

That just cracked me up! Sounds like a good idea. Ya gotta go back to the drawing board and figure something else out though. Or are you stuck inside with all this snow too? LOL

Trusted Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Gemspirit said: Two idiot items one from here and one from our other fav network. I recently bought the egg cooker from the guy~I think his name is Mark Charles? Anyway, your supposed to be able to make hard boiled eggs as well as something close to a poached egg and mini omelettes. Ridiculous item, doesn't work right, and now it's just sitting there. I'll donate it if anyone will take it. Then one time I ordered a rice cooker. It has never even come out of the box! My kids are out on their own, they don't want it. I can't give this thing away! It will be donated as well I guess.

Before you donate that rice cooker check out the two blog entries entitled WP Rice Cooker under Kitchen & Food Talk: http://community.qvc.com/forums/kitchen-and-food-talk/topic/491995/pagenumber/1/index.aspx and http://community.qvc.com/forums/kitchen-and-food-talk/topic/494220/pagenumber/1/index.aspx

I have never seen the need for a rice cooker but saw the presentation on HSN about all the other meals that could be cooked in a rice cooker, so I bought one of the little Wolfgang Puck rice cookers…and I just love it! The little one makes whole meals for one or two people with no fuss, no muss. You may find that that dog item is really your next new treasure without spending a penny! It is worth a try…if you don't like it then, you can always donate it.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

OK. The electronic pressure cooker I could easily live without; the air pop popcorn maker ( have had TWO over the years and didn't like either); the Pampered Chef stoneware (got rid of a load of that stuff); a few crock pots that have gone by the wayside; Emile Henry huge tart maker plate thing (still in the garage!).

BUT, I used all the time: bread maker; rice cooker; VitaMix; Cuisinart food processor; and my kitchen scale.

I have more Le Creuset than is reasonable, but I love them! And use them--but not all of them all the time. Does anyone else have TWO Tagines? LOL!! Don't laugh! They were REALLY CHEAP! That's what I'm talking about. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Dishwasher. DH did a good job.