Esteemed Contributor

I have not done much of this at all. I can't remember my mother ever broiling anything either. 

What all do you broil? What kind of a pan do you use? Is all one can use a metal sheet pan?

tia

Valued Contributor

I broil fish and my mother used to broil steaks.  You can broil peppers and then remove the skin for roasted peppers.  You can broil macaroni and Cheese just to get the top brown if that didn't happen when you baked it.  Meringue for lemon meringue pie.  Lots of things.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't broil as much as in the past.  Heating up the 30 inch stove to cook one little steak - and the smoke from fat  turns me off.  I cook those things on outside BBQ grill.

To answer your pan question.  I've broiled a steak on two layers of aluminum foil or a flat type pan.  (no high sides)  Most ranges comes with a broiler pan - and that's best to use - slots allow grease to drip down to the lower level pan.

Honored Contributor

I use the broiler to brown things or gently warm the outer surface of leftover steak for a better taste than microwaving using a flat bake sheet withsides and a small rack.

I'll also make garlic bread.  Love toast with butter on top done this way (I toast the back side first) as well as cinnamon toast.

The door must be vented to keep the top element on for grilling.

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I have not done much of this at all. I can't remember my mother ever broiling anything either. 

What all do you broil? What kind of a pan do you use? Is all one can use a metal sheet pan?

tia

@happycat 

I use broiler pans, mesh silicone pans depending on need for air flow, baking sheets, any combination of those pans sometimes lined in foil.

Like others I top off food with the broiler for a crisper crust, if my roasted veg need a little more cooking I broil last few minutes as a time saver.  Reheating pizza is great on broil last few minutes.  All of these need to be watched as broiling can burn food pretty quickly.

Thinly sliced bread under a broiler makes a nice toast like bread for soups or snacks, like a large crouton.  All of my broiler needs usually work well in my countertop Oster double door convection oven, love that thing and rarely use the regular oven.

Honored Contributor

I broil my steaks in my countertop convection oven.  I use the broiler pan that came w/the oven lined w/aluminum foil.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

I use my broiler fairly often with the broiling pan that came with the oven. It is a heavy pan with a top part that is slotted and removable. I broil cheese bread and garlic bread, open-faced tuna and cheese sandwiches on hamburger buns, home made pizza (just for a minute at the end to brown the cheese), meatballs before adding them to the barbecue sauce, ribs before putting them in the crockpot, and sometimes cheeseburgers or steaks. I have set off the smoke alarms a few times because of the smokiness I have to admit. I try to open the doors or bring a fan into the kitchen if I think of it.

Respected Contributor

@happycat  I never fry anything.  I have a convection broil feature on my Bosch range.  I make sure I preheat the broil function before using.  I broil chicken, salmon and pork chops mainly.  We usually do steak on the bbq.  We have a screened in deck so we bbq all season long.  

Honored Contributor

I have a stainless steel water broiler.  It is the best broiler pan I have ever had.  I often gift them for a wedding shower and everyone wants to know where I got it.  Mine is over 15 years old and looks like new.  I washes up perfect and can go in the dishwasher.

I can also use it as a baking pan and a casserole dish.  It is my favorite and best loved pan in my kitchen.           Can you tell I am crazy about this pan?

On a scale of  1 to 10 this pan is better than a 10.  I think they are only available on line.

I also have the turner that is sold separately with the pan. It's okay, but I don't use it all that much.  The pan gets used a few time a week.

I broil pork chops, steaks, scallops with bacon, hamburgers, veggies,  

1FDCC4DA-F307-46B4-BEF8-0B1230C709FF.jpeg

Honored Contributor

We have a gas stove and the broiler is on the bottom, under the oven.

I wish you could buy a stove without one and have a storage drawer instead.  I don't use it because all they are good for is making a mess and setting stuff on fire!