Super Contributor

I decided to take out the hand me down bread machine my sister gave me a number of years ago. I can no longer find packaged bread machine bread mixes so i thought i would make my own. I googled recipes and settled on one. The directions for the french bread were pretty much the same: add each recipe ingredient in the order the manufacturer states. Water goes in first, followed by flour, salt, sugar and yeast. i made a little well in the flour and added the yeast. What a 3.5 hour hot mess! The water and 1/2 the flour mixed and made a nice crust. However when i opened the lid after timer went off, the rest of the flour and all the yeast had not been mixed, much less kneaded. It is quite possible that the "bucket" was not seated properly. Regardless, my question is this: Does anyone know whether the yeast must be activated before adding to the flour?  I am not a baker, but the directions for every recipe were as simple as what i outlined above....even in the owners manual! None of them said activate the yeast according to package directions. I am determined to get this right! 

Respected Contributor

@Shiloh09 I am not a baker of bread, but I believe @SharkE is, as well as some others.  Hopefully some folks will read your post and give you great advice!

Maybe you can edit your post to let folks know what make and model of bread machine you are using.  It might help them give you some guidance.  My only amateur thought would be was your yeast fresh?

Honored Contributor

Re: Bread Machine

[ Edited ]

All you have to do is put the ingredients in the machine as it specifies in the owners manual. That's what we do. Never had any problems. We use the machine to make the dough only.

The French Bread recipe we use it this. 

3 c  Bread Flour

1 1/2 t  Salt

1 c water

2 t yeast

Respected Contributor

@Shiloh09   It sounds like the pan wasn't properly seated.  Remember to have the liquid lukewarm (not too hot or cold), and the yeast and flour needs to be fresh, not old.

Good luck, I've had good luck with my bread machine, especially making dough for rolls, and cinnamon/raisin bread.

I'm sure the bread bakers on this site will offer their suggestions for types of flour, and other tips to make a perfect loaf of bread.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Contributor

I don't think there is much in this world that smells as good as fresh bread baking and coffee brewing.  I had one of the original bread makers from backin the mid-80s for a few years and while the bread came out the appropriate consistency and it tasted good, it always looked like a boulder.  I gave up and eventually gave it away to save counter space.  But it did make great tasting bread. I know the subsequent models produced loaves that actually looked like a loaf a bread, but by that time I had lost interest.

You may be able to good the users manual online and in the process get an online cookbook.  You might also check Amazon for breadmaker mixes.  They never cease to amaze me with the things they carry.

Honored Contributor

never made french bread in a bread machine. I like a long loaf.

No, you don't have to activate yeast, just put in the 'well' of the flour

using finger make indention in all of the flour that's been added.

Honored Contributor

sounds like you didn't have the 'spinners' in place what is it you call those

metal pieces that does the mixing, I forget.   My 'Zo' machine has 2.

May have to buy a more current machine don't have to have a  'Zo' pricey machine, Cuisinart makes a good one. Bed & Bath has them

Honored Contributor

King Arthur Flour website has good recipes too

Super Contributor

Google the manufacturer of your bread machine.  Have the model number handy.  You can call the manufacturer and see if they have a recipe book for that model. 

Next, the water should be slightly warm.  You do not have to proof the yeast as the bread maker should warm up a bit, not anywhere near a baking temp, while it is mixing the dough.

Always check that the mixing blade and container are secure in the machine.  

Once you get the hang of it, you will love it.  Mine is from the early 2000's.  I wore out an earlier one.  The possiblities are endless.  

Best of luck.  Have lots of butter ready when it does work out.  There is nothing better than fresh baked warm bread and butter.  

Respected Contributor

@Shiloh09 

There is an online site called The Prepared Pantry that sells various bread machine mixes.  Have used them in the past with success.

They also sell individual ingredients, other baked good mixes, kitchen tools and more.

Denise