Contributor

Beware Purchases Based On Emotion

A few weeks ago I saw the presentation of the La Creuset round grill pan with the chef grilling steaks, pork chops, and asparagus.  They all looked so delightful and tasty, they got me hook, line, and sinker.  There was also free shipping and that's the only way I order anything.  I debated about cancelling my order but went ahead and let it ship.  It arrived yesterday and I opened the box this morning.  It's very nice (but heavy) but the reality is I won't use it often enough to justify the cost.  I'm shipping it back tomorrow.  I may regret sending it back but I'd regret it more if I kept it and hardly ever used it.  I won't let this happen again to me!

Honored Contributor

Re: Beware Purchases Based On Emotion

The weight is the reason I’ve never ordered any pieces even though I really like it. Yes we can all get caught up in emotional buying. Don’t need anything really except for TSV which I ordered. 

Honored Contributor

Don't beat yourself up, it happens. They make the presentations so appealing that sometimes we forget that the item won't really fit in with our life. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I did that a few times myself......

Respected Contributor

I've done the same thing. About three years ago, ITKWD featured a LaCreuset 7.25 qt oval dutch oven. I ordered it and immediately knew I'd have to return it. Why? The pan was so-o-o heavy. There was no way I was going to use it enough to justify $300.00 plus dollars. 

Honored Contributor

I thought that only applied to the stock market (!!)

I've always been pleased with my "gotta have it" fashion and home purchases.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

As they say "been there, done that & have pictures!"

Although, since November I have not bought any kitchen gadgets or impulse buys.  Oh wait, I bought the KA TSV -- haven't used it yet...

Honored Contributor

I think that is the only way I buy stuff. And yes, I have lots of regrets.

But since I retired my whole lifestyle and bank account has changed.

Esteemed Contributor

Sure wish I returned the roaster size - I got carried away about the lid (that flipped) seared and gave those BBQ lines.  Ha - what a b**ch to clean.  Used the lid once - the roaster only a couple of times.  Heavy - heavy - but I'm stuck with it.  Was too late to return.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are smart to return it.  At least you'll only be out the return shipping fee. I've done the same thing.  I'm much more careful now about what I order.

Edited to add:  I did get the letter about too many returns.  It was very polite, and I didn't feel annoyed by it at all because I agreed with the letter!  It was a wake-up call.