Honored Contributor

Re: Beware Purchases Based On Emotion

I never do emotional shopping, but I am tempted.  I have a list of things that I want or need.  When I see that item, if I still feel I need it, I purchase, if not, I delete it from the list.

i don’t allow myself to put an item on the list and purchase it that day. So, if I watch QVC or shop in a Store, I am safe from purchasing anything, unless it is on the list.

More often than not, I delete an item from the list in a few days.  

I used to order stuff and forget all about it until UPS delivered it..then I’d try to remember what I ordered.  Had to open the box because I couldn’t remember.  No more.

i also would put just purchased items still in the bag on my closet shelf and forget all about it. Months later I would find it and wonder why I bought it.

Of course, I don’t do this with food items...I buy grocery items not on my list all of the time.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely love my Le Crueset pot.  I use it all the time for soups and stews.  I bought mine at Marshalls though for half the price.   I waited and waited until a friend of mine told me that's where she bought hers.   I never realized that they carried them.  Of course the inventory changes and they'll have different sizes and colors at different times.  But again, huge savings!

Honored Contributor

I think after 30 years of shopping with shopping channels and approaching 58, I don't do much impulse shopping anymore.  I get tempted by all the blah blah blah but I'm able to focus.  However, I do find myself drawn to something I want but know that I don't need it and probably won't use it much....I use the pay by check option.  I give myself a day to think about it and 90% of the time, I cancel that purchase.  I think of it as a cooling off period.  

Honored Contributor

@MarleneKwrote:

A few weeks ago I saw the presentation of the La Creuset round grill pan with the chef grilling steaks, pork chops, and asparagus.  They all looked so delightful and tasty, they got me hook, line, and sinker.  There was also free shipping and that's the only way I order anything.  I debated about cancelling my order but went ahead and let it ship.  It arrived yesterday and I opened the box this morning.  It's very nice (but heavy) but the reality is I won't use it often enough to justify the cost.  I'm shipping it back tomorrow.  I may regret sending it back but I'd regret it more if I kept it and hardly ever used it.  I won't let this happen again to me!

@MarleneK   I am not interested in Le Creuset because of the weight.  I just wanted to tell you, though, that you can't cancel an item after you've ordered.  There used to be a short amount of time you could cancel, but now you can't.  This doesn't bother me because a lot of places do this.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1wrote:

Don't beat yourself up, it happens. They make the presentations so appealing that sometimes we forget that the item won't really fit in with our life. 

Isn't that the truth.  Has happened to most of us and not just once!

Esteemed Contributor

I think the majority of purchases on shopping channels are based on emotions! I'm glad that I'm retired and have finally realized that I just don't need much anymore. I have plenty of stuff already! I guess retirement can be liberating!

Respected Contributor

Yes it's all impluse shopping. we all did stuff but compare what is on amazon or qvc. sometimes q is cheaper also amozon check out prices. Daughter got townhouse &  give her my old stuff & replace it so fun

Respected Contributor

You see, that's what "selling" is all about.  Get the customer to spend money without rhyme or reason.  

That's why I dislike salesmen.  That's why I try to avoid having to deal with them.  If I can't avoid itl, I know what I want and stick to it, no matter how hard the salesman tries to "upsell" me.

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is anyone alive that has succumbed to an impulse or emotional buy at least once or twice in their lives. It happens, and QVC really works hard at making it happen!

Everyone is different, at different stages of their lives, and has different amounts of disposable income. Some people are very capable of doing it on a regular basis, and if they regret it, can give away or sell at a loss, the things they probably shouldn't have bought. Other's get themselves into a world of financial hurt because of it. 

LIve and learn I say. The smartest thing is when you realize you made a 'mistake', to correct it (like return the item). Then keep that feeling in the memory bank for when tempted the next time!

Honored Contributor

I remember when I first started buying from QVC I fell for the spiel from Quacker that you'd be part of a group that spotted each other and commented on each others tops or whatever.

I think I bought a set of three t-shirts with sea creatures in sequins on the front.  They weren't bad, really, but I only ever wore one and very soon after I donated them.

We're all subject to wanting to be part of a group, whatever it might be, at some point in our lives.  I think just being aware of it and making a decision based on awareness is the best way to approach it.  Second thoughts are nothing to be ashamed of, either.  That's what those return labels are for!  Woman LOL

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.