Valued Contributor

Best way to save 1/2 of an avocado?

Hi Ladies,

Any tips or tricks? I love avocado, but I only typically use 1/2 of one and put the other half in the fridge. I keep the pit in the half that I'm saving and wrap in plastic, but it is never quite good enough to eat the next day. I know that they are sensitive little guys, but there must be a way to keep it good until the next day? Or not?

Thanks in advance. Maybe there's a tip out there that I don't know about?

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

Re: Best way to save 1/2 of an avocado?

Keep the seed in the unused half. Use it up within a day or so. Nothing lasts forever in the natural vs. processed worldSmiley Happy

Super Contributor

leave the pit in, and put a little lemon juice on the exposed portion of the avacado.

Respected Contributor

You can puree it with a little lemon or lime juice. Sorry I don't know how to keep an entire half or quarter, though. Maybe you could brush some lemon juice on it?

Respected Contributor

Keep Avocado Fresh

The above-linked article says that a cut avocado will stay green if you store it in an air-tight container with a cut onion.

Respected Contributor

On 5/7/2014 Marsha2003 said:

Keep Avocado Fresh

The above-linked article says that a cut avocado will stay green if you store it in an air-tight container with a cut onion.

Wow, that's great! I'm going to try that. Thanks!!

Super Contributor

I've had good luck with wrapping it in that plastic seal wrap - not the cling-wrap stuff but the other plastic wrap that has a slightly sticky side. I just threw away an empty box and can't remember the exact name of it. Anyway, wrap it in that, and then put it in a lock'n'lock type container. This method has worked really well for me. I've also stored guacamole in the lock'n'lock type containers without discoloration occurring for 2 days! Making sure the avocado is not exposed to any air is the key here.

Honored Contributor

I often use half an avocado. I put cling wrap on the surfaces. The one I used this morning was a couple days old and I just took a thin slice of the brown area off and the rest was fine. Used it to have avocado on rye toast for breakfast this morning.

Honored Contributor

I vacuum seal the half with the pit in it. It will stay pristine, without even any browning, for quite a while that way. I put it in the refrigerator, of course.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow I never would have thought to store it with a cut up onion to keep it fresh, but will do that now the next time I only want half of my avocado. I eat a salad with my lunch five out of seven days with avocado.

Thanks for the tip.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}