Respected Contributor

Re: Beef and Stout over Mashed Potatoes Recipe

On 3/8/2015 starpolisher said:

I made this one today. I had been looking for a recipe after I had it at a local restaurant called McGillicuddy's. I added carrots and we had mashed potatoes, roasted brussell sprouts and salad. It was delicious! Here is the link.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/grandma-flanigans-pot--roast-in-guinness-gravy-recipe

Grandma Flanigan’s Pot Roast in Guinness Gravy Recipe

Ingredients

• 16 ounces Guinness Stout
  • 3 to 4 pound chuck roast
  • 2 tablespoons English Prime Rib Rub( I used a prime rib rub I had)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Serves / Yields

3-4 lbs.

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour Guinness into bowl and set aside so beer flattens. Rub roast with English Prime Rib Rub seasoning. In large non- stick pan over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil. Sear roast on each side until browned. Immediately remove meat from pan and set in large roasting pan. Coarsely chop onions and add to pan along with garlic. Add stock. Roast in preheated oven 1 hour. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and add Guinness. Liquid level should be at least halfway up side of roast. Roast an additional 2 hours, check liquid level periodically and add water if needed. If adding vegetables while roast cooks, add during last 45 minutes. After 3 hours, roast should be fork-tender. Transfer roast onto warm platter. Place roasting pan on stove top, on high, stirring juices constantly. Make a slurry by combining water and cornstarch. Gradually add to juice until mixture thickens. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and serve over meat and vegetables. Makes 4 to 6 servings Note: At the restaurant vegetables such as carrots, wedges of cabbage and mashed potatoes are served alongside meat. If desired, your choice of vegetables can be added to pot and cooked with roast as noted above.

Credit

This recipe was provided by The Spice House.

Thank you for posting this recipe starpolisher.

I believe it also will be equally delicious, and I will also try it soon!

Respected Contributor

I made the recipe I posted above for Sunday evening dinner and served guests.

I doubled the recipe since I had quite a few to serve.

It was so delicious, very tender and extremely tasteful.

Quite a few guests asked for the recipe, and also loved it.

I served it with onion cheese scones I also baked.

Also served a Greek salad on the side, with full bodied red bardot french wine, and sparkling water.

The Beef and Stout over Mashed Potatoes Recipe is without a doubt definitely a keeper, and now I am glad I posted it.

Honored Contributor

Yes it is a keeper!

I made it Saturday...Adore, we musta been thinking alike this weekend!

It was incredibly tender! I took a sip of the stout...Wowza! I was a little nervous with the taste but it cooked perfectly into the stew and just blended ideally with the other ingredients. I got my meat at the butcher's and it was a great quality stew beef. I didn't change a thing....and would make it exactly as written again...and again!

This makes a good size stew. I made Mom a big plate and still have left overs for tonight.

Loved it! Thanks so much for posting.

Honored Contributor

adore--this recipe does look good!! I have made a chocolate cake using an oatmeal stout that is drop dead incredible!! Stout is my friend!!!

Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2015 RespectLife said:

Yes it is a keeper!

I made it Saturday...Adore, we musta been thinking alike this weekend!

It was incredibly tender! I took a sip of the stout...Wowza! I was a little nervous with the taste but it cooked perfectly into the stew and just blended ideally with the other ingredients. I got my meat at the butcher's and it was a great quality stew beef. I didn't change a thing....and would make it exactly as written again...and again!

This makes a good size stew. I made Mom a big plate and still have left overs for tonight.

Loved it! Thanks so much for posting.

WOW RespectLIfe,

This is weird!

We made it the same weekend!

How much of a coincidence is that?

It was delicious and so worth it wasn't it my friend, and you are very welcome.

Respectlife great word to describe the wonderful stout taste and Wowza is funny. We said WHOA...GRRRRREAT!!!!!!!!.........and it was.

So glad your Mom and everyone liked it, and it definitely is a keeper.

Have a great day and take good care!

Hugs to you RespectLife and to your Mom please....from me....(I really miss my Mom, especially on the holidays because we used to cook together very often).

Now for the Corned Beef and cabbage with Guinness Stout, baby carrots and potatoes, and Happy St. Paddy's Day....enjoy!

Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2015 wagirl said:

adore--this recipe does look good!! I have made a chocolate cake using an oatmeal stout that is drop dead incredible!! Stout is my friend!!!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Stout is everyone's friend wagirl, and it has such a unique flavor!