Honored Contributor

I buy bananas at the store and plan to have one the next day. The next day all are totally mushy and have to toss into the trash.  Happens every time lately if I dont use the day I buy them. Does this happen to anyone else!?

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I've never had that happen, but I don't often buy bananas.  I buy them while they're on the greenish side; after about a week on the counter, they're soft and mushy.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't happen the next day but takes a few days for the bananas to be mushy.  I do eat one a day and do not buy a lot.  I remember a late friend of mine making banana bread from bananas which were mushy so the bananas didn't go to waste. 

I buy bananas which are not completely ripe also .

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs 

If you like banana bread/muffins, etc., don't toss them!

Throw them in the freezer still in their peels, placed in a baggie.

Overripe bananas develop the most sweetness and flavor, ideal for baking!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I have even bought them green @ValuSkr  and it still happens, didnt think it would!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr I would like if mine lasted a week or even a few days lol

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  That is a really good idea!! Will have to try that.

Respected Contributor

Where are you storing your bananas? Do they already have brown spots when you buy them?

Honored Contributor

We're big on bananas, so I have a process. I always have some green and some yellow. Also, if I have too many that get very ripe at the same time, I put some of them in the fridge. No, they're not the exact same texture, but it works okay.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Etoile308  I try and buy ones that look unblemished and with green on them. I put on the counter.