Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs 

I also use Debbie Meyer Green Bags, which really extends the 'life' of fruits and vegetables for me.

I first discovered them years ago here at Q, but they stopped carrying them after many years.

She has her own site and they're also sold on 'A', BBB, HSN and others, just google them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I have seen them but never ordered since I wasnt really sure that they work well. Sounds like they do work!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Is there heat coming off a light or appliance? Can't think why that would happen. 

Respected Contributor

No.

Valued Contributor

@CherryHugs i buy only green bananas 2 bunches each week.  i put one bunch on a S hanger and the other closed up in shopping bag.  I have tried green bags, foil on stem end, plastic on stem end.  nothing has stopped the ripening.  But the other day i had a couple separated from bunch,  i put them in basket with mandarin oranges.  i don't know if was the vitamin C but those bananas seemed to remain spot free for a couple extra days.  usually if i have 3 left i make banana muffins  nothing goes to waste.  hope you find what works for you.

Honored Contributor

My family only likes bananas on the green side, and I never buy more than 5.   I also separate the bunch once I get home and lay the bananas spaced apart on the counter.   

If bananas go downhill that fast, they are already fully ripe when you buy them, or they are stored near other gas emitting fruits and vegetables.   

If you buy bananas at the stage of ripeness you like, but you are not planning to eat them right away, I agree that putting them individually into a ziplock sandwich bag and placing them in the refrigerator, will stop the ripening process and keep them at that stage for a couple of days.   

My family does not eat banana bread, cake, or muffins, no banana shakes, so I only buy a very small bunch of bananas each month.  

Honored Contributor

Never kept bananas on the "counter."  I didn't grow up seeing my parents do that. 

I buy them greenish, when I get home, I rinse the outside (gets rid of the "store gnats") if I don't rinse them in the store & throw them in the fridge.  After about a week, if any are left over, they are all yellow w/o any blemishes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs   When my bananas are too ripe to eat (I like them barely past the green stage) I dehydrate them.

So easy, and so good, even my dog gets some.  

Just slice lengthwise and dip in a mixture of 1/2 lemon juice (I used the bottled) and water and dehydrate for about 18 hours. 

About 1/2 way through they seem to stick to the trays but after the full 18 hours, they come right off.  So good, and stopped me from wasting money on over ripe bananas since there is only so much banana bread I can eat. 

I also do it with apples once they are too ripe to be crunchy.  Just peel, slice thin, use the same lemon mixture and dehydrate.  I usually have both fruits going at the same time.  Yummy.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I buy bananas that are not quite ripe and keep them in my attached garage this time of year.  I bring them into the kitchen 2 -3 at a time.  I just ate one that I'd had for 2 weeks.  It was perfect inside but black on the outside.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

No, that's never happened to me where the bananas are mushy after one day. I buy a bunch of 5 to 7 every week...mostly slightly green but some on the bright yellow side. We eat them daily, and they last for the week. I buy bananas that are very ripe just for banana bread since that's the only way I'll have any left over for that purpose.