1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2/3 cup white sugar

1/2 cup butter, softened

2 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup milk

2 apples, peeled and chopped (any kind), mixed with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I grated the apples instead of chopping them just because it is quicker)

Old Fashioned Creme Glaze

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream (depending on thickness of glaze wanted)

Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Use a 9x5 loaf pan and spray with non-stick pray or line with foil and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.

2.  Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Set aside.

3.  In another medium sized bowl, beat white sugar and butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.

4.  Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended; add in vanilla extract.

5.  Combine and whisk flour and baking powder together in another bowl and add into creamed butter mixture and stir until blended

6.  Mix milk into batter until smooth

7.  Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apples and half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.

8.  Light pat apple mixture into batter.

9.  Pour the remianing batter over apple layer and top with remaining apples and brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.

10.  Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a knife or spoon.

11.  Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 50-60 minutes.

12.  To make glaze, mix powered sugar and milk or cream together until well blended.

13.  Let cool for aobut 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.

Enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, my daughter's Culinary Club is having a bake sale today. Yesterday I baked my apple cake (cut into large squares) and I baked Maple Glazed shortbread cookies (cut with my 4" maple leaf cookie cutter). Everything sells for $1 a piece. My husband baked 3 different flavors of mini cheesecakes, plain, pumpkin and chocolate. This is in addition to the student's baking. They set up their table right in the main lobby entrance to the college.  They sell out of a lot of things to the hungry students if last years sale was any indication of how they will do! hahaha

Honored Contributor

Made pumpkin bread last weekend.

Made some cinnamon rolls out of a dinner roll recipe I make. They turned out pretty good. The dinner rolls are easy to make using the bread machine for the dough. I would have preferred cream cheese icing but I did not have any so I used the basic icing.

100_3873.JPG

Respected Contributor

I just made the best ever banana bread.  The recipe is from the Neeley's (sp) and I have made it many times over the years.  However, I was wondering if black pepper would be good in this recipe.  So I added 1/2 teaspoon of coarsly ground (fresh) black pepper.  There definitely is a different flavor and it is good.  However, next time I will use a full teaspoon of it.  Also, I only used 3/4 cup sugar.  It is still plenty sweet.

In case someone wants to make it, here is the recipe as given by the Neeley's.

Banana Bread

• 1 stick butter, at room temperature, plus more for loaf pan
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large very ripe bananas*
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • Honey Butter, for serving, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and put a rack on the middle shelf. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a wooden spoon, leaving a bit of texture.

In another large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat until just combined. Add the dry ingredients and gently stir in pecans. Pour the batter into the pan and put on a sheet tray.

Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve with Honey Butter.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I just made the best ever banana bread.  The recipe is from the Neeley's (sp) and I have made it many times over the years.  However, I was wondering if black pepper would be good in this recipe.  So I added 1/2 teaspoon of coarsly ground (fresh) black pepper.  There definitely is a different flavor and it is good.  However, next time I will use a full teaspoon of it.  Also, I only used 3/4 cup sugar.  It is still plenty sweet.

In case someone wants to make it, here is the recipe as given by the Neeley's.

Banana Bread

• 1 stick butter, at room temperature, plus more for loaf pan
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large very ripe bananas*
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • Honey Butter, for serving, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and put a rack on the middle shelf. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a wooden spoon, leaving a bit of texture.

In another large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat until just combined. Add the dry ingredients and gently stir in pecans. Pour the batter into the pan and put on a sheet tray.

Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve with Honey Butter.

@CLEM Thx for sharing the recipe. Now I just need some ripe bananas. I just ate the last banana. I love banana nut bread. 

Did the recipe call for pepper or did you just add some to try it? It's not listed in the ingredients. 

I love black pepper but never thought about adding some to banana bread. I imagine it would give it a different taste.

I like to put peanut butter on banana bread.

Respected Contributor

Re: Baking today ?

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz  If you like banana bread you will be in for a treat with or without pepper.

The recipe did not call for pepper.  But I thought about adding it while I was prepping the ingredients last night.  So I added it.  And if you think about it, fruit added to many savory dishes tastes pretty good.  So why not different spices in sweet items.

By the way, I never let the bananas ripen too much; just nice and yellow with a few brown spots.  I found that everyone who doesn't like banana bread loves mine and I think it's because the banana taste is not too overpowering.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm baking some Halloween sugar cookies for my Granddaughter.....She is allergic to tree nuts and there might be alot of candy that she will get tonight that she can't eat......

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I'm baking some Halloween sugar cookies for my Granddaughter.....She is allergic to tree nuts and there might be alot of candy that she will get tonight that she can't eat......

What a sweet (no pun intended!) surprise, special and safe treats from grandma!

When my son was little (before he started school) we never let him have candy, so for those years, I made him special treats for the holidays when others would have a lot of candy. Miss doing things like that, now that he is grown.

@Nataliesgramma