Honored Contributor

I need blanched almonds for some Christmas cookies.  Does anyone know if Trader Joe's carries them?  I went to two grocery stores today and Costco yesterday and so far no luck.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne

They sell blanched, slivered almonds at TJ.

Trusted Contributor

It's easy to make your own. Boil some water, put the almonds in and turn off the heat. The skins will loosen up. After about one minute, drain the almonds and you can slip the skins off, the nuts just slip right out of the skins.

Honored Contributor

@Dorothy11

Funny you should mention that I googled that today.  That is my last resort.  I was very suprised they were not available in the bulk section of the grocery store I went to.  

Honored Contributor

Re: BLANCHED ALMONDS?

[ Edited ]

Blue Diamond makes packs of slivered, blanched almonds.  They are small packs, usually hanging, by the chocolate chips in the baking aisle.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono@VaBelle35

Thank you both for replying.  I am looking for whole ones not slivered.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne

I didn't see that part. You won't find them in regular grocery stores.  That is more of a health food store item, not a baking item.  It might be easier to just get them from Amazon than running around from store to store.

Making them yourself is tediuous because if you need a lot of them, you will have to spend a lot of time getting the skins off.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Just an update on my blanched almonds.  I was almost resigned to having to try it on my own when I went to a very expensive high end grocery store. They said they were almost sold out because of the holiday but they had a few packages left.  Yeah!!!