Respected Contributor
I love Costco's prepared foods and just the fact that the store feels more upscale. But we actually shop more at BJ's. For one thing, it's a lot less crowded and easier to get in and out of. BJ's also carries the huge boxes of K-cups that we use and go thru like water. I buy mostly name brand things like garbage bags, swiffer stuff, bottled water, febreeze, etc and they have plenty of the things I use. Our BJ's also has a good selection of seasonal items, gardening stuff, and computer accessories. I don't really buy many groceries there. I do Publix BOGO and stay stocked up on those things. I only buy meat at Publix or one of our specialty shops.
Esteemed Contributor

Reba, thank you. My BFF also said Costco is more upscale.

I hate crowds and crowded parking lots, so weekends at Costco are out.

Which K-cups do you buy?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor
Paul Newman's special blend and Maxwell House House blend. They also have Starbucks. I had to go back to Maxwell House due to tummy issues but everyone love the Paul Newman. They definitely have the best price on K cups I have ever found...anywhere. Yes, Costco on the weekend is a nightmare. I always say I don't need anything that bad, lol. Edited to say they actually have more brands of K cups but those stand out to me and wasn't really thinking. We don't do flavored coffee but I believe they carry some. Sorry I don't remember the other brands. It may be green mountain.
Esteemed Contributor

I've been a member of Costco in southern Calif. for 20 years. I shop there every 4-5 weeks and stock up on everything - as I don't like shopping often. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I saved $28 on Costco coupons. The membership is $55 -- and u can have a family member or friend get a second card (on ur membership) and split the fee. Besides the rebate I get from the Costco AMEX card and using Costo coupons, I save much more than the $55. I luv that they move the products around occasionally -- it makes shopping so much more interesting and I'm always finding such great products at low prices. I also bought my brass kitchen hi-arc faucet - and knobs/handles for all my cabinets by shopping at Costco.com. Holiday shopping is so easy ---- a bottle of wine and festive box of cookies, etc. They always have nice jackets, pajamas, sweaters on the tables --- at great prices.

Honored Contributor

Boy, you really CAN get anything @ Costco. (Snort Laugh)

Honored Contributor

I've shopped at both. I prefer Costco because it's a well lit store and the fresh items seemer fresher than BJs. My mother likes BJs because they have a deli and you can buy things in smaller quantities.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a BJs put do have Costco and Sams. I have been a Costco or Price Club member for well over 30-years. Used it extensively when raising family and even now that I am a empty nester I go there about three times a month (it is very close to me. I like that it is always clean and the employees are treated well. I will not shop at Sam's Club for the same reason I will not shop at Walmart. I think it is criminal that they are making mega bucks but have employees on food stamps and many without medical insurance.

Honored Contributor
On 10/11/2014 justshoppin said:

I've had three memberships at once (BJ's, Sam's and Costco). Of the three, Costco is my least favorite so I dropped the membership.

When I was considering dropping my Costco membership, I called the local store to see when it would expire. The young lady on the phone was most unpleasant and acted like I was bothering her by calling. I made one last trip to use my membership and the sales clerk was more concerned with discussing her upcoming break time with her manager than assisting me with my purchase.

It says right on your card when your renewal is. Unless you were a long time member who had some gaps or something.

I don't worry about the yearly membership cost because it's basically free for me. We have the executive membership and my yearly rebate always covers my membership for the next year. Plus I save more than the cost from our cheaper car insurance I get through them.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

jaxs, thanks for the reminder about the insurance!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

Costco! I'm surprised by some of the comments about why people shop BJs. For example, BJs has the big boxes of Kcups. Costco has those and we buy them all the time. I think they sell even bigger boxes online. They have Paul Newman, Starbucks, and others plus the Kirkland brand. Our current favorite is Kirkands's Pacific Blend which is a dark roast I think.

Our Costco has multiple brands to choose from in most categories. We even have two different types of Charmin bathroom tissue! We have bagged kale, spinach, broccoli, several different types of head lettuce, different types of carrots including organic, etc. We also usually have shelled pistachios although there was a stretch when nobody had those. Anyway, I think our store has a HUGE selection and variety!

We also buy a lot of our big ticket items there and at least price things there before we make any big purchases. We've bought three big screen TVs, a Dyson, laptops, and several Keurigs. You can't beat their return policy.

The gas is also a big savings for us. It's typically about 7 to 10 cents cheaper. Oh, and the optical department is wonderful!

We used to belong to BJs but switched because Costco was a little closer. Then we realized we liked it better. But I haven't been in a BJs for about 15 years. My SIL lives in a neighboring town and they have SAMs Club. But they really like to go to our Costco Smiley Wink If their town got one they would probably switch!

And I agree with the earlier poster who said that our executive membership more than pays for itself. We get back at least $200 per year.

KJPA