Esteemed Contributor

Re: Awesome guy in line at the supermarket today

Vabreeze....Stilltammn....and Scotnovel....thank you for your replies....

I have never paid for anyone in front or behind me....no peticular reason as I am kind person....

What I have done..when I was a cashier and someone was short money...(not their entire shopping cart full...lol) but just needed a little more to pay their bill....I would dig in my pocket and pay the rest....

Super Contributor

Once, when I was in line at Caribou coffee, someone paid for my order. I smiled the rest of the day.

I've helped make up a few dollars for the person in front of me at the grocery store. Once, the woman had 2 kids with her, and she was buying diapers, milk, store brand boxed mac and cheese, and a gallon of milk. She was trying to decide which item to put back. No way she could just put an essential back. I've never forgotten her items--it was just too sad.

As far as homeless people go, I will buy them a meal but won't give them cash. This works best if they are standing on a corner near a convenience store or fast food place.

Super Contributor

How nice! And you can and I am sure will help someone out someday. I think the pass it on gesture is so wonderful! Just think if everyone did something like what he did even just once a week. Helping someone out, being friendly or whatever it is and it does not have to be money.... The world would be such a better place!Smile

Trusted Contributor

What uplifting posts! It's so refreshing to hear about a few of the good things people do for each other. Thank you.
Respected Contributor

I do a lot things like this, big and small. But my favorite thing that I do is also the smallest. I leave the quarter in the cart at Aldi. It's a hassle if you don't have one for the cart, it has happened to me--you would think I would learn. But I leave it for the next person in case they don't have one.

Respected Contributor

On 6/7/2014 Ladybug724 said:

I do a lot things like this, big and small. But my favorite thing that I do is also the smallest. I leave the quarter in the cart at Aldi. It's a hassle if you don't have one for the cart, it has happened to me--you would think I would learn. But I leave it for the next person in case they don't have one.

I didn't have a quarter, 2 dimes and a nickel but no quarter. Someone gave me their cart. Now I give my cart to the next person walking in.

There is a homeless man who lives in our local park, he digs thru the trash looking for food. We had my daughter's grad party there a few years ago. We had him come and fill up take out containers. My daughter has also gone back and given him pizza etc.

ETA: The man's pants were too big and falling down, one of the guests at our party took off his belt and gave it to him, I thought I was going to cry.

It's important to remember and share with those who have so much less.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/7/2014 circles said:

I am curious......I have read about these act of kindness when someone paid for someones meal...or such....

How the heck do they know what it will be...like you who was at the drive=thru...how would he know what you were ordering......or when the person/people are eating their meal and another paid for their food.....how could that be determined as they might order something else...yet they say it didn't cost them anything....I don't "get" it...

I think its a wonderful gesture...just need to understand how it works....

I think since the car behind us is ordering via microphone or at a separate window, and food is paid for and picked up at a different location, it's easy to ask the cashier how much the order behind is where we can then decide if we want to do a random act of kindness.

The other day the guy in front of me at the grocery was short on cash. I helped him out so he didn't have to decide what things he did not want to purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

I do give a dollar or two usually if I can get it out quickly enough and get it to a homeless person at a stoplight, but I hate it when I pass a homeless person with a dog! I was a couple of blocks from my home when I saw a man with a sign and a dog - it was kind of hot and he had an umbrella for the dog to sit under. I keep a box of Moist and Meaty dog food packages at home in case I need it when I "dog sit" my neighbor's dog, or if she has some kind of emergency. (I don't own dogs any more-I have cats.) I rushed home, put several packages of the dog food in a bag, got out a few dollar bills, and rushed back to the corner hoping the man was still there. I gave him the dog food and the money, and I didn't need a thank you, the look on his face was more than enough. That way I didn't have to worry if any of the money would be spent for the dog! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

house cat, I agree with you: Friends have told me that I'm being foolish, that those people are scammers. I'm sure I've given money to quite a few scammers over the years, but I'd prefer that then to pass up one person who is truly in need.

Honored Contributor

Good for you, kittymom {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

My son is a musician and an artist. Now that he's older he has found another vocation to keep food on the table, but it broke my heart when he told me there was a time he was sitting outside a bakery in San Francisco, with his best friend and his dog, just hoping someone would give them something to eat. Someone did and he's never forgotten it. As a mom, I cry whenever I think of that story and no matter how old the person is who asks me for help I always think that somewhere, they have a mother who would be glad someone helped.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/7/2014 house_cat said:

Good for you, kittymom {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

My son is a musician and an artist. Now that he's older he has found another vocation to keep food on the table, but it broke my heart when he told me there was a time he was sitting outside a bakery in San Francisco, with his best friend and his dog, just hoping someone would give them something to eat. Someone did and he's never forgotten it. As a mom, I cry whenever I think of that story and no matter how old the person is who asks me for help I always think that somewhere, they have a mother who would be glad someone helped.

Wow, my son wanted to be a professional and played guitar in a band for ten years--he's also older now but still regrets the fact that the band members couldn't seem to keep on the same track, so they could get further with it than they did--they actually were very good. But he had a regular job at the same time -- I can't imagine how I would feel if I ever thought he had gone hungry. I'm sure I would have been a basket case. I have such a soft heart and want to save all the animals in the world - how can I do less for people? If any of them have been scammers, someone much greater than me will be their judge someday...{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}