New Contributor

Awesome guy in line at the supermarket today

I was at the supermarket today, ran my items through, and then discovered that I had left my wallet at home.

The guy ahead of me (he was packing his items) just handed me the necessary coins, about 4 dollars. I tried to say no, but he insisted. Now I need to find someone to pass the money on to.

I was actually just buying candy and soda, not even trying to feed my family or anything.

Contributor

Re: Awesome guy in line at the supermarket today

Isn't it a breath of fresh air to unexpectedly experience truly kind people? In this world we live in, we need more of them. I recently experienced a random act of kindness in a fast food drive thru. While digging in my wallet for my entire ONE DOLLAR order, I was told the man ahead of me paid for my order. For some reason, it really lifted my spirits. I guess because it was so unexpected and it brightened up my whole day {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

I am curious......I have read about these act of kindness when someone paid for someones meal...or such....

How the heck do they know what it will be...like you who was at the drive=thru...how would he know what you were ordering......or when the person/people are eating their meal and another paid for their food.....how could that be determined as they might order something else...yet they say it didn't cost them anything....I don't ""get"" it...

I think its a wonderful gesture...just need to understand how it works....

Super Contributor

On 6/7/2014 circles said:

I am curious......I have read about these act of kindness when someone paid for someones meal...or such....

How the heck do they know what it will be...like you who was at the drive=thru...how would he know what you were ordering......or when the person/people are eating their meal and another paid for their food.....how could that be determined as they might order something else...yet they say it didn't cost them anything....I don't "get" it...

I want to know also. Never happened to me, or any of friends. Maybe it doesn't happen in Washington, DC area! lol

Honored Contributor

There was a mom ahead of me in line at Wegman's. She was about $5 short and was frantically going through her purse, pulling out small change, and still not covering it.

I told the cashier I would pay (quietly), but she told me not to bother...Wegman's would cover it!

I LOVE that store and the Wegman family!

Contributor

Circles.....well, all I know is the man ahead of me told the drive thru employee that he would pay for my order too and asked how much it was in order to pay. I guess you take a chance on that! With my luck, I would try to do this and there would be a family of eight behind me ordering dinner. Maybe he asked how much it was before he offered to pay. Some people may not care how much it is Smile

Honored Contributor

One time I was at the toll booth off the Thruway. It was the first exit after the tolls, so it was just 50 cents.

The attendant told me that the person ahead had paid...did I want to do the same for the next car in line? He said that after the first person got it started, 45 people had paid for the next car in a row!...They were shooting for 100...

Trusted Contributor

On 6/7/2014 champagnepoodle said:
On 6/7/2014 circles said:

How the heck do they know what it will be...like you who was at the drive=thru...how would he know what you were ordering......or when the person/people are eating their meal and another paid for their food.....how could that be determined as they might order something else...yet they say it didn't cost them anything....I don't "get" it...

I want to know also. Never happened to me, or any of friends. Maybe it doesn't happen in Washington, DC area! lol

Champagnepoodle, y-o-u can make it happen! Luv these acts of human kindness in a society that is sometimes so mean.

Honored Contributor

My daughter maybe 2 days ago told me that she was at the drive-thru at Starbucks and the lady in front of her paid for her coffee and bun.

She said she's done that before too. I think it's called 'pay it forward' or something like that.

She even posted on facebook the incident. I was once at a McDonalds and there was a man (you could tell he was homeless) near me. the clerk behind the counter came over with a tray of food and handed it to him.

She said, "A lady just paid for this and asked me to give it to you". I thought, "Wow! That's wonderful". I walked around with a smile the rest of the day and I didn't even get the free food! Ha!

I let people get in front of me all of the time. I also often give people who are standing in the road asking for money $5 or so dollars.

I don't care what they do with it. It drives my friends crazy! They say, "He's just going to go drink it", or "He needs to get a job".

Here's my take on this. I could care less what he does with it. I see these people as angels. I think GOD wants us to take care of each other. I don't always have cash. If I do, I share it.

Super Contributor

I have paid for the person in FRONT of me ( when they struggled to find money) but never the one BEHIND me...

I guess, i just don't stick around once I am done...