Respected Contributor

Re: Are you going to slowly stock up on pantry items?

@sissel   I always try to keep ahead on stock shelf stable  items, having lived in hurricane and snowstorm/blizzard areas on the northeast coast all my life.

This pandemic has taught me to be a little moreso, without hoarding.  I am now replacing things that I always use before I've quite finished up the last of an item.

I check Walmart and Amazon regularly to see if certain items have come back in stock.  When I see those items I order a decent amount.  The other day I ordered a jar of Fleischmann's active yeast since I was very low in the current jar.  Finally they had restocked a very large All Free and Clear detergent which is my first choice.  Couldn't find it since March and don't really like the supposedly comparable Arm & Hammer liquid.  Finally found Dove sensitive skin bar soap and ordered that--hadn't seen that in the store or online since March.  

I buy the largest containers always of Dawn dish and laundry liquid to cut down on having so many plastic containers--same with Febreeze fabric spray and Windex--I purchase the large refill size and funnel into the saved original spray bottles.

Not stocking up on meat--just have a normal sized freezer but when I do see I good deal say, on chicken breasts, I buy one pack and use my Food Saver to break down into smaller units. 

Like you, just two adults here, and hoping there is no "second wave" down the lane but want to be prepared in case.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

We always stay well stocked on most things. When this hit, I had a few holes in my stocks, and I've adjusted and filled in over the last couple of months. I tend to keep a year's supply of most things, 6 months minimum on all others. 

I'm going to continue to maintain the current supply of things we have, as I feel uncertain about what the next 6 months to a year holds for us on several fronts. Supply issues, health issues, prices, economy.....it's all a bit uncertain, so staying on top of having everything we need is definitely a priority for me, even more so now.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I'm glad to read most people aren't going into 'hoard' mode. That makes me so mad I could spit.

Hope threads like this one don't start another round of stupid behavior.

Glad stores are standing their ground and not giving cash back to the ones who hogged goods, then, have the nerve to drag all that stuff back to the stores and want money back from keeping products from others.

I haven't seen reports of people returning things. Most places aren't accepting any returns yet, so I doubt that is a real thing.

And there is a big difference between stocking and hoarding.

Supplies are back in full force in my area. So if someone wants to buy six packs of TP, it really isn't an issue. No one is getting shorted or going to do without because someone else wants a whole bunch. And even those things that still have limits, if people get the limit each time they visit the store, or decide to stop at three stores in one trip and get the limit at each one, that isn't hoarding either. 

I think people learned a couple of lessons this go round. The supply chain is fragile. Government entities will close things down, taking away options and incomes, in the drop of a hat. No one is going to look out for you and yours, but you. Having a supply of things one deems necessary is important. Putting together enough things to last many months is now understood to be essential and smart, and not something only crazy preppers and off grid folks need to be doing. It's not hoarding to build a supply of things over time. Even having 100 of something isn't hoarding if it is acquired over time when supplies are available, and will be used, shared, or donated while it is still good.

Nothing stupid with that behavior.

Honored Contributor

Not really in fact, my pantry except for "everyday" meal needs & baking supplies is almost bare!  Frankly, I'm loving it!

In fact, it took only 3 weeks to get out of the "every night cooking" routine.  Tonight, about 6:15 spouse asked me "are you cooking dinner?" Holy crow never even thought about it as I went out for lunch with my friend.  

I quickly needed to come up with something... 

I looked in the freezer not much in there  -- hot dogs, blueberry pancakes, bacon -- he had bacon, eggs & pancakes?

Even I had a pancake -- yummy!!!

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I'm glad to read most people aren't going into 'hoard' mode. That makes me so mad I could spit.

Glad stores are standing their ground and not giving cash back to the ones who hogged goods, then, have the nerve to drag all that stuff back to the stores and want money back from keeping products from others.

Really??!!!

Honored Contributor
sharke

Re: I Hit the Jackpot This Morning! 

@4kitties wrote:

There were about 8 5lb bags of King Arthur Bread Flour at my Kroger this morning!   And one of them came home with me!  One of my favorite breads calls for bread flour and my canister is almost empty.  I have been on the lookout for bread flour for weeks.  

I have also been seeing yeast at both my Kroger and my Walmart.  I did not buy any as I already had enough.  

Should had bought it all when you saw it , if they didn't have a limit on it.

when I go on vacation back up to Ind. and White Lily flour I buy ALL they have.  Sometimes I'll send the sister, money, and have her to go ahead and buy for me, then, I'll hit the store when I get up there.

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Really??!!!

Honored Contributor
sharke

Re: I Hit the Jackpot This Morning! 

@4kitties wrote:

There were about 8 5lb bags of King Arthur Bread Flour at my Kroger this morning!   And one of them came home with me!  One of my favorite breads calls for bread flour and my canister is almost empty.  I have been on the lookout for bread flour for weeks.  

I have also been seeing yeast at both my Kroger and my Walmart.  I did not buy any as I already had enough.  

Should had bought it all when you saw it , if they didn't have a limit on it.

when I go on vacation back up to Ind. and White Lily flour I buy ALL they have.  Sometimes I'll send the sister, money, and have her to go ahead and buy for me, then, I'll hit the store when I get up there.

@SharkE USES her flour. She bakes a lot. If you USE what you buy, it's not hoarding. I go through a ton of tissues and like having at least 10 boxes in reserve. If I have 20, it's still not hoarding because I'll use them all. Same with toilet paper. Same with soup, beef, cat food, coffee, butter, etc.

sharke can have all of the White Lily flour in Indiana for all I care. I just got a shipment of KA bread flour and 1 lb yeast, which I knew about thanks to sharke. I've been inspired by the bakers on this forum, sharke among them, and I'm going to bake bread!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann : Thank you, totally agree. Sharke bakes a lot and shares with her church family.We have been accused of hoarding items. We have tummy issues, year round allergies. If you have certain problems better to have a supply of necessities. We are handicapped, can't drive at night or in bad weather. We keep a good supply of toilet paper, Kleenex, Lysol wipes, bar soap- can only use dial and dish detergent. Have sensitive skin and keep a supply of the free and clear laundry detergent and fabric softener. We drink caffeine free tea and coke cola- having hard time finding the caffeine free coke but today found a pack of 12 cans. We are good on everything but the Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

I stock up on staples that I know I will use every spring and fall.  Have been doing it for years and have never considered it hoarding. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to amend my previous reply to this thread.

If I hear a whisper of a vodka and Kahlua shortage, I WILL be hoarding!  Woman Wink

(Seriously, I appreciate that all of you "stock up" on things you use regularly.  Have an acquaintance that truly hoards and then wonders if using frozen foodstuffs from QVC from 4 yrs. ago is "still good").

Denise
Honored Contributor

No.  I will do my usual of once Labor Day celebration and cooking is over than I start buying Thanksgiving and Christmas ingredients.  Try to get them way before Halloween for sure.  Then just cook and eat!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."