Respected Contributor

Are you going to slowly stock up on pantry items?

I am thinking about fall & will slowly get some pantry items now. Only 2 of us but thinking soups & other things. The virus and not being able to find items has me to (not hoard) just a little here & there. I hope this fall or winter we don't have another round of trying to find things. Also food prices has been creeping up. We still have a limit of meat per purchase. Are you thinking the same way?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you going to slowly stock up on pantry items?

@sissel : I'm not stocking up on food (we've got so much that there's no room for more.  However, I'm adding a couple hundred dollars in small bills every week or so.  I am firmly convinced that we are headed for a banking crisis.  Not saying banks will fail but I can foresee a cash availability crisis.  If that happens I want to be able to pay exact dollar amounts (doesn't help if you want to buy a $2 item and only have a $20).

Honored Contributor

@sissel 

Done.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

Not really. 

Respected Contributor

Have a side by side fridge but wanted the smallest freezer (size of a mini fridge but a freezer) I have been on line & at home depot & lowes sold out of all freezers, Just want to plan ahead if no problem fine but finding certain items that everyone stocked up on kind of scared me. rumors going around saying fall & winter we may have another round, Who knows. Just want to plan now. I am not a hoarder and see many items getting restocked on the shelves. 

Respected Contributor

no

but i have always been a bulk buyer.   i had no real issues when some products were scarce.

i did sub some items in my normal recipes, which turned out to a great adventure.

however.......

some probably changed their buying habits for some things and will continue.   we all were spoiled with anything available anytime.   we know now that it might not always be the case.  

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

Always kept up to 2 months, but recently adding a little at a time for 4+ months.

Never know when the next crisis hits or what it will be.  

Respected Contributor

I am well stocked.  I've begun using my " stash" based on expiration dates, and will replace as I use an item.

I know the things that were hard to get here during the first few months of the pandemic...besides tp and paper towels, it was also meat, dish detergent, soup, pasta, flour, sugar, yeast, powdered milk, and coffee.

I have a good supply of all those items, and will add to them over the summer months.

It makes me feel good to know I will have what I need, even if I can't shop.  And if family or friends need something, I can help.  I don't buy anything I wouldn't use up anyway.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, we are. 

We have been shopping at Costco for years now so we always have extra bulk items on hand.  When the pandemic hit, my husband went to Costco and was able to get us extras of certain items that were running low on stock (toilet paper, paper towels, etc.). We are chipping away at what we have bought, but our plan is to buy extra of everything this summer and store it away in case the second wave hits. They are going to be stored away in our shed so we won't be tempted to use them when we run low on our "normal" stuff.  We don't want to have to scramble to buy basic necessities when there will be so many more things to have to worry about.