Trusted Contributor

Grilled pork chops. YUM

Honored Contributor

I eat it out of the jar with a spoon...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

Thanks ladies, these all sound pretty good, the only thing I have ever used it on was to spoon some onto those thumbprint cookies, those are delicious! Thanks for your ideas.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Apricot jam

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt OMG! I just read you said something about having issues with your esophagus & bread! I have never heard anyone outside of my immediate family with this issue (also with rice, and carbs, as well as foods that are too fiberous). For me, it causes my esophagus to contract and it's PAINFUL. Would LOVE to chat with you about it to see if you have some of the same symptons I have. I just got so excited because this is something nobody else seems to understand, so when I read what you wrote, I jumped to ask you!

Valued Contributor

I like to buy plain yogurt and sweeten it with a jam.  I think carrots taste great when they are glazed with apricot jam.  I will make a batch of crepes and serve them with a sauce made from orange marmalade, apricot jam, orange juice, orange zest and orange liquor. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

LaLaMommy wrote:

@chickenbutt OMG! I just read you said something about having issues with your esophagus & bread! I have never heard anyone outside of my immediate family with this issue (also with rice, and carbs, as well as foods that are too fiberous). For me, it causes my esophagus to contract and it's PAINFUL. Would LOVE to chat with you about it to see if you have some of the same symptons I have. I just got so excited because this is something nobody else seems to understand, so when I read what you wrote, I jumped to ask you!

Hi LaLa!  For me, it's most often either bread, or bready type foods, or meat.  Funny you should mention rice, as I was eating some rice the other day and had an 'episode'.

The pain is indescribable.  Often the food won't go past my esophagus so you probably know what I have to do next.

Anyway, I don't want to take her thread OT, but I wanted to respond to you.

Good luck with it.  Mine gets worse and worse, but I just try to be careful and I seldom eat in front of anybody now or go out to eat.  Last thing I want to have to do is use a public bathroom for the 'refunding', as well as sitting with others while the pain is happening because it's so excruciating that you just cannot hide it.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

I make a yellow squash quick bread with apricot jam.  Yum!

Valued Contributor

Actually chickenbutt and Lala you can talk about whatever you want, I don't care, now that you mention it about the pain it reminded me that a few years ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and I too would get terrible pain while eating, once they put me on nexium I no longer have that pain. I don't know if it's the same thing you're experiencing but thought I'd throw that out there.

Respected Contributor

@TerrywuI do something similar to this for pan-grilled chicken cutlets - 1/2 a jar of apricot preserves, 1 tbsp. coarse mustard and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger. Adjust proportions to taste, mix together, then pour over chicken 5 minutes before serving. This amount is usually enough for 4 or 5 chicken cutlets. Adjust quantities for additional chicken.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Apricot jam

[ Edited ]

Thanks @gulf coast girl!

Just to respond to @chickenbutt: My episodes occur an hour or a few hours after eating.  I have been told I can't break down certain foods that are high in grain, too startchy or too fiberous....perhaps because of an enzyme issue. But doctors are stumped so I've just learned to live around it. It causes my esophagus to contract and it's the worst pain, comes in chronic waves, and lasts a couple of hours at least.  So I have to stick to tender meats, cooked veggies, and salads made with lighter fiberous foods like spinach, tomatoes, lettuce, but stay away from raw broccolli, oranges because of orange casings, rice, starch, breads, ahhhhhhhhhh.....but I do succumb at times, and then the pain.....and I end up getting lesions in my esophogus.  Fun times. 

Thanks again @gulf coast girlfor allowing us this quick hijack.