Honored Contributor

So sad - went to buy some corn this AM & our favorite stand has closed for the season.

It seems the veggies are about done for this year - we looked at the corn elsewhere and it was awful so we didn't get any. The stone fruits like plums etc and  apples will be all from now I guess. I did get a tomato and a pepper at the Butler farm market that were local & look freshly picked. It always makes me sad when the fresh food season starts to come to it's end as it is one of the real joys of living here in the country among the Amish farmers.

Trusted Contributor

Re: So sad - went to buy some corn this AM & our favorite stand has closed for the season.

I am glad we have not reached that point yet.  Our local stands plant their corn in stages so we will get it fresh a few more weeks at least.  I have 2 family stands under 5 miles from my house.  I love being able to drop in when passing by and I can buy just 1 of anything if I want.  I am a widow so buying for 1 is so much more convenient.  I can have fresh everyday.  Will store up on squash at the end of their season.  I could make a meal on winter squash.

Honored Contributor

Re: So sad - went to buy some corn this AM & our favorite stand has closed for the season.

I love squash too but my DH hates it, so I don't get to have it much.

Honored Contributor

@151949   Must be about time for you to head South.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I guess it is all relative. I live in Florida and our stand closes on Memorial Day Weekend and opens the weekend before Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

I also live in Fl. for 8 months of the year - except for the strawberries & pineapples the fresh foods we find down there do not even come close to what we get in Pa. I have never had a good or even acceptable tomatoe grown in Fl. Florida is a wonderful place to live for many reasons but ,honestly, not the fresh foods.

Honored Contributor

our farmers markets generally stay open through october and our farms still have some good produce available.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We're in the middle of a drought in the Northeast. After a spring and summer full of rain, it suddenly dried up (like it usually does in August.) Nothing for weeks.

The CSA I belong to has a very slim basket and no more tomatoes. The farmer said the tomato season was unreasonably short. We're getting small winter squash, eggplant, a few okra and corn. 

Honored Contributor

No drought here. Much rain. But as we drove through the countryside we noted the crops are all turning brown.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tomatoes in Tx are horrible sure miss my Ind. tomatoes LOL

Mostly hot house or grown in water. Yuck