Honored Contributor

Re: Appliance discovery-getting interested......

OMG---I LOVE that coppery color or is it more champange!? I would design my kitchen around that color in a NY minute!!! I do not like stainless or black or any of the whites, bones etc. I would consider the Black stainless---maybe. My appliances are 17 years old now and in the bone color--hate them--hard to keep clean and hate to HAVE  to keep them looking clean all the time.!!!!  I have a Vitamix in the chanpagne color and love it. 

Respected Contributor

I am all for that beautiful bronze color for appliances.  My current ones are all white.   I have a small galley kitchen, white cabinets, and brushed nickel hardware.  With the kitchen being so small, I wonder if the bronze appliances would not clash.

I could change the hardware, but I paid a lot of money for it at Restoration Hardware and love it, even though I don't like stainless steel appliances.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

OMG---I LOVE that coppery color or is it more champange!? I would design my kitchen around that color in a NY minute!!! I do not like stainless or black or any of the whites, bones etc. I would consider the Black stainless---maybe. My appliances are 17 years old now and in the bone color--hate them--hard to keep clean and hate to HAVE  to keep them looking clean all the time.!!!!  I have a Vitamix in the chanpagne color and love it. 

Interesting question @wagirl- the info I read on the website states that this color is not for every kitchen (paraphrasing) and the color sort of reflects what’s around it (I’m not saying this as elegantly as they do in the description!

The tile, flooring and cabinetry that we’re keeping would definitely “like” these appliances. They do not like white or metallics, and I think black would be jarring. 

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

That's great, @violann.   8)

I'm a curious and visual person so I had to look 'em up...

Image result for whirlpool sunset bronze appliances

I don't know if it'll catch on and it wouldn't work in my kitchen, but I really like it.

Respected Contributor

@Cwoldie wrote:

My husband was a Sears refrigeration technician for 43 years before he retired. In his opinion most new appliances will not go the distance. We redid our kitchen 6 years ago and had a white Kenmore refrigerator that was over 30 years old and had never caused a problem. I insisted on replacing it. He nearly cried. We bought a Kenmore elite.

This particular one was made by LG. We have not had a problem but he knows many that have.

Very few, if any, appliances are made in the u.s. today. The price you pay is more for the finishes and features than the quality. He has a particular loathing for built-ins, sub-zero and other high ends. Very difficult to repair.

He would say keep what you have until it is beyond a reasonable repair.

I would say to check with Consumer Reports or other impartial resources before making a decision.

My husband loved his job until Sears began to be very difficult to work for. Now most repair companies use outside contractors.

I've always bought Sears Kenmore appliances since the mid 70s.  My first washer/dryer set was the bottom of the line Sears Kenmore that I paid under $600 for the pair in the 70's. It was avocado and I literally got rid of it after 20 years just to change the color bc they were somewhat visible behind a half wall in my dining room.   At my last home I had cheap, bottom of the line Kenmore washer/dryer that were 16 years old and still worked). 

I just bought a new home and the builder put all GE appliances in the kitchen.  I may have made a mistake, bc I bought an LG bundled washer/dryer set on sale and less than Kenmore during Memorial Day.  Part of the problem today, all the appliances have a bunch of bells/whistles and as my dad used to say - "more things to go wrong".