Honored Contributor

Appliance discovery-getting interested......

Some of you may remember that I have been on a quest to replace my kitchen appliances since moving to my “new/older” home in the Spring of 2016.

My present appliances are almond, and I couldn’t imagine replacing them with metal or black or gray.

The present appliances are in excellent condition but probably between 10 and 20 years old, and weren’t used for a couple years before we bought. We’ve found a very good, reasonably priced repair person, but we always know that we have to be prepared to replace the appliances and Formica counters sooner than later.

Last week DH asked the repair person which brands he thought were the best right now. Mr. Person offered Whirlpool and KitchenAid as his choices.

So I go to the Whirlpool website this morning and much to my surprise delight I find that they ARE introducing a NEW FINISH, “Sunset Bronze” in the spring of 2018 !!!

Just happens to be perfect with my cabinets! Cannot WAIT to see it!

Regular Contributor

Re: Appliance discovery-getting interested......

My husband was a Sears refrigeration technician for 43 years before he retired. In his opinion most new appliances will not go the distance. We redid our kitchen 6 years ago and had a white Kenmore refrigerator that was over 30 years old and had never caused a problem. I insisted on replacing it. He nearly cried. We bought a Kenmore elite.

This particular one was made by LG. We have not had a problem but he knows many that have.

Very few, if any, appliances are made in the u.s. today. The price you pay is more for the finishes and features than the quality. He has a particular loathing for built-ins, sub-zero and other high ends. Very difficult to repair.

He would say keep what you have until it is beyond a reasonable repair.

I would say to check with Consumer Reports or other impartial resources before making a decision.

My husband loved his job until Sears began to be very difficult to work for. Now most repair companies use outside contractors.

Honored Contributor

That's great, @violann.   8)

I'm a curious and visual person so I had to look 'em up...

Image result for whirlpool sunset bronze appliances

Honored Contributor

I think I like this new pale coppery color but would be afraid to invest in so much money for it just to be a fad. At least with stainless steel you know its in for the long haul. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

That is such a pretty color! I wish I had a pretty kitchen to put them in.

I'm one of those that liked the 60's colors of gold, brown, avocado; my mother had brown ones, I think that color would look good in today's creamy white kitchens.

Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of stainless.  All colors look so dated in a few years.  Ick. White yellows and somehow just looks so basic to me.  Almond and beige colors are hard to match with other colors when you replace appliances.  Black is ok, but to me in a kitchen stainless just makes sense. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think that Sunset Bronze would look great with my natural cherry wood cabinets. 

Just replaced my barely 10-year- old fridge a couple of months ago. Still feeling the hurt from that unexpected purchase. I hope it's a while before the next appliance quits.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann  I am sure my appliances need to be replaced soon also.  I have white and that is fine, but I think I want another look and your mentioning "sunset bronze" made me think that I would like that also.   Then when I saw the picture @feline groovy posted, I knew that this is exactly the look I would like and would go well with my kitchen cabinets.

Thank you both for posting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cwoldie I could not agree with you more.

In our situation, we have very dated golden oak appliances and very VERY dated tiles hand placed as the backsplash all around the walls of our U shaped food prep area, and we LOVE EVERY BIT OF IT!

My Formica has to go, not because it’s dated, but because it’s much too hard to keep clean because it’s so warn.

The stove works very well, but we’re paying $300 to have two switches and a light replaced. We’re just on the edge of throwing good money after bad.

”Dated”? BRING IT !!! Give me a cozy knotty pine kitchen with creamy tiles with a sprinkling of avocado and orange flowers! To me it means coziness and stability and sweet connections with homey conversations and meat loaf and pumpkin pies.

I’ve seen current, modern kitchens that I’ve loved, but thanks just not a part of my lifestyle. For me, appliances in this warm new color will fit right in 😊 !

Honored Contributor

The new color looks pretty.  Not for me though.  I'm keeping with white.  Looks best in my small kitchen, plus I would have too many appliances to replace.  When we bought this house I almost got the avocado green, but glad I didn't.  It was the "fashion" then.  I did get washer and dryer in the green since the laundry room was separate.  Looked nice, but regretted it later when the washer went out, but the dryer was still good for several more years.  You never know when they are going to discontinue colors.  I have a hard time finding small appliances (toaster, etc.) in white now.  Everything is stainless steel.