Valued Contributor

Appetizer ideas using pre-sliced fresh mozzarella?

I am in need of ideas for an appetizer that I can make ahead to take to a dinner party next week. Other than the basic mozzarella/tomato/basil, are there any other ideas that seem more special? I would appreciate any feedback offered.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appetizer ideas using pre-sliced fresh mozzarella?

I made this recently and it was a big hit--with both men and women.

Margherita Pizza

(1) Rustica Crust Organic Great Grains pizza crust (purchased at Whole Foods)

Classico Pizza Sauce

Mini Pearl Grape Tomatoes

Fresh Basil

Mozzarella Cheese (The harder kind purchased at Trader Joe's)

Heat oven to 450 then reduce heat to 425.

Lightly rub Olive Oil on both sides of pizza crust. Spread a light layer of pizza sauce, top with sliced grape tomatoes and snipped fresh basil. At this point I grind a little Italian seasoning and sprinkle a little red pepper flakes on. Top with lots of mozzarella cheese and bake for 8-12 minutes at 425 until crust is starting to brown at edges and cheese is bubbly.

This really is strikingly colorful!

Super Contributor

this is a bit of a rip on on mozzerella, tomatoes and basil, but I take cherry tomatoes, and

the little itty bitty mozzerella balls, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, take out the seeds, stuff them with the little mozzerella balls, then pour a little olive oil over with some basil and salt. Easy to pick up and eat in one bite and everyone loves them.

Honored Contributor

a friend of ours owns an italian restaurant.....he is southern italian. he makes mozzarella positano......mozzarella, topped with a tomato slice, a slice of prosciutto, crumbled feta cheese, and then a drizzle of balsamic reduction. it is delicious.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Recently my family has had the fresh mozzarella with watermelon, and another salad

with peaches. Both were delicious and fresh. Both were drizzled with balsamic.

Trusted Contributor

I make a tomato pie......can be hot or cold.....and it works well with the pre sliced mozzarella instead of using grated mozzarella........(recipe on request)......

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Super Contributor

These sound yummy! I have used fresh mozzarella slices cut into quarters on a toasted slice of french bread with shrimp, fresh basil and the mozzarella on top. Heat for a couple of minutes in oven just enough to melt cheese. I have been know to dust the shrimp with a little garlic powder or EVOO and minced fresh garlic toss before putting on bread slices. Play with it to suit your tastes. Shrimp could be replaced with any italian meat sliced very thin and kind of "draped". Have fun trying different things.