Contributor

Re: Anyone buying the Genius TSV?

I'm thinking that I'm going to be getting one. I've got something similar that does the "chopping" part only. That thing is getting "up there" in years. It's one that my mom & dad bought when I was a kid and I pilfered it when they divorced some 16 odd years ago. It's still doing the job and truth be told, my guy is the one that uses it more than I do these days. I prefer my knives to do any of the chopping/cutting/slicing work that I have to do.

However, when I saw this nifty little thing, I had to show him because of not only the "chopper" aspect but because of the mandolin aspect too. He's been wanting a mandolin for a while so that he can easily slice his potatoes for his homemade chips. I've been looking at the various other products around and have been trying to decide as to which to buy and then lo & behold along comes this little gadget. When I had him watch the presentation this morning, he actually watched it without that look of "Yeah, ok. And?" on his face. He was actually interested. So, needless to say, it looks as if I'm going to be adding a new gadget to my kitchen today.

That's okay. If it gets him to do some more of the cooking and allows me to relax a bit, it's worth it. LOL {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I bought one a few years ago and don't think I've ever used it - I have other gadgets that do the same job.

Trusted Contributor

I think I am going to wait on this one and see what the reviews are. They will probably offer it or a ""new and improved"" version as a TSV next year anyway. I already have a mandolin and my Ninja Storm can do the same chopping.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/4/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I haven't ordered yet, but that doesn't mean I won't. I'm tempted....kitchen gadgets always tempt me. I'm thinking about that egg cooker that MarkCharles Misili hawks, too.

I don't have Mark Charles egg cooker but I do have an egg cooker I bought from the Q. years ago....best thing I ever bought...the eggs come out perfect no matter the setting...I am amazed how long ago I purchased it....and it still works perfectly...or I would buy MC's....

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of gadgets for the kitchen, as they tend to get used a lot at first, then just take up space in my house. I have wondered if I would use any of the various choppers that they have shown through the years, but usually just decide a knife does the same thing, even if slower. If anyone gifted me one, I think I'd like to try it, though (LOL)!

Honored Contributor

I hope that people think about how it would benefit THEM, instead of buying into the carnival barker type hype that they do in their presentations. Personally, this item does not appeal to me, as I have knives and other such tools that still work great and don't take up that much space either.

Also, with arthritis, I would envision that this type of thing would be more difficult to use.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a Genius a couple years ago with the 5 piece changeable cutters disc's. Love my Genius. I and my husband use it quite a bit when making meals for us.

For me, it was worth every penny I paid for it.

Honored Contributor

Not buying. I had something similar from QVC years ago; different brand and not as many features. Used it maybe twice and it went to the back of the cabinet and then to donations. I do love all the colors QVC brings in now though. (in many items)

Super Contributor

On 6/4/2014 Sammijo said:

I'm tempted too. This time of year especially. Although chopping veggies for soups and stews in the winter would be a quicker task with the TSV.

I have a plastic mandoline that is losing its sharpness and was thinking about getting another one. The chopper blades will cut down on the onion and garlic smell my hands pick up while slicing and chopping too.

Still thinking - afraid of plastic gadgets. They never seem to work the way they are supposed to. I also noticed that Chef Tony wasn't always getting the results he was describing this morning either. I think I'll wait for reviews - even though it will be more money after today. It will certainly be in the 'as seen on TV' section of my local CVS within six months!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that onion smell on my fingernails. I may use the check option and decide after reviews if I follow through.......I'd use the chopping part, that I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

If you lived somewhere without electricity or with limited power, this item looks to be a decent replacement for a food processor. I think it would also be fun for children who like to help you cook to use with careful supervision.

I have the original Nicer Dicer and I use it often because my knife skills don't allow me to get that perfectly uniform small dice that I can get with the Genius.