Respected Contributor

Saw two different models at COSTCO.....are they worth it?

Honored Contributor

My SIL cooks with a "Breville Joule" model of this appliance.  I don't know where she purchased it, but it does a nice job of cooking. 

Honored Contributor

We have had one for a long time, almost never use it now that we don't work.  It was mostly for fish.  We didn't like steaks that way.

Now we slap some aluminum foil on a small baking sheet, throw the salmon on and cook it in the oven.  We use our oven a lot.  

If you are going to be out of the house for a number of hours and have a food sealer, it's great.  

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if this is the same concept, but it sounds like it.  I belonged to a meal delivery service where everything arrived in vacuum sealed bags that you heated up in boiling water.  The food always took at least twice as long as the instructions gave to heat the food up, and most of the time I ended up opening the bags and simply reheating the food in the microwave.  The sous vide concept was lost on me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just another fad to waste money on?  I don't know.........didn't look too interesting to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Use a Sous Vide

[ Edited ]

A lot of chefs use these. The food is cooked in them not reheated. Personally these are not for me, husband is lucky I cook at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling 

Had to look that up.

Literally means "under vacuum" .

Method of cooking food slowly in a vacuum sealed pouch at a low temperature so as to retain most of the juice and aroma.

Offers greater control over what you're cooking.

Recommended for:

Meats that dry out, overcook, or get tough/rubbery easily, or start as tougher cuts of meat.

Chicken or duck breast.

Liver

Eggs

Fish Fillet

Vegetables too. See Google for more.  

(Thanks for asking. I learned something new.)

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

"husband is lucky I cook at all"

now that's funny!

Super Contributor

I had one but was not impressed.  Cooking meat in water just doesn't result in the same flavors as grilling even if you do a quick sear afterwards. It's a cooking method I won't try again.

Respected Contributor

My husband loves that one he bought.  He also has a vacuum sealer so when we buy meats in bulk he seals them into dinner sized portions.  He uses it to defrost and/or cook.  Like some else said I don't particularly care for the way steak is cooked in it but DH will use it to defrost steak then grill it.