Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Like Naturally Sweet Watermelon?

I thump them.

As opposed to what?  An unnaturally sweet watermelon?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Image result for gif dog eating watermelon

healthy & hydrating  8)

Respected Contributor

My dog loves watermelon too!

A couple pieces, not a whole slice or anything like that.

Honored Contributor

I did not know whatermelons came any other way.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123 wrote:

As someone else posted it is early in the watermelon season. The picture that @sidsmom posted is helpful. Some people tap on the watermelon. 

A seedless watermelon should sound solid. A seeded watermelon should sound hollow. 

Heirloom watermelons are usually sweeter also. 

Some grocery stores will cut your watermelon in half and overwrap it for you. This should be free of cost and enable you to see the depth of red throughout your watermelon.

Great produce managers will assist you to keep your loyalty to their department. 

I had no idea a produce dept. might cut the melon for you, and while that is a nice service, I'll caution others that they might want to be sure the facility that is cutting watermelons and other fruits are properly cleaning the outsides first. 

Any dirt and bacteria on the outside of a piece of fruit (or on the cutting instrument being used) will be dragged through the edible parts as the knife passes through. I'm not sure what the protocol in restaurants and grocery stores is for cleaning the outer rind of fruits is before cutting, but I steer away from pre cut fruits, and buy whole whenever possible, so I know it is cleaned well before cutting.

Just something to consider. Not every establishment or every employee follows proper food safety rules and handling.

Frequent Contributor

OKPrincess, that yellow watermelon from Texas may we’ll be a Black Diamond. This was my grandfather’s favorite. Of course, I love them, too. West Texas gal by birth, but in Oklahoma now.
Honored Contributor

Image result for cat watermelon gif

Honored Contributor

Image result for cat watermelon gif

Honored Contributor

I LOVE watermelon!  The dog and the bird also do.   I want it nice and cold.  I have some L&L bowls that are the perfect size to cut one in half and put a half into each of two of these bowls to keep in the refrigerator.

Takes me, the dog, and the bird, quite a while to get through one so this keeps it fresh.  I just make sure to wipe off any condensation that occurs inside the seal and keep an eye on that.

Honored Contributor

Yum!!! Have been eating it every day for lunch. Dh just picked up another today. I also thump them. We buy seedless. Can't wait to see if the farmers will have the yellow or orange skin. So good.