Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Dislike Making Cookies?

I have never baked cookies. That's what Pepperidge Farms, Stella D'Oro, etc. are there for.

My mother was good at sweets and baking, but I wasn't inspired. A sister has the knack and does cakes, pies, even candy. Not my thing. I'd rather make a savory dish or vacuum and have an apple or a little box of raisins if I want a sweet.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, I love baking cookies! I love baking anything, really, but cookies are my thing. Esp during the holidays. I made drop cookies last week. Did the sugar cookie cut-outs the other day; I have a thing for rolling and cutting cookies. It's so relaxing for me. Yesterday was spent making stamped cookies. 

I make my cookie doughs the night before I plan to bake. The next morning, I'm ready to go. It usually takes a day to bake what I want to bake. I turn the music on sky high and dance my way around the kitchen. I am always smiling when I'm in the kitchen.

I just love baking cookies, all kinds of cookies! DH loves eating cookies. It works!

Today, I finished roasting peanuts and cashews. I need to make my almond brittle (waiting for a day without a lot of humidity) and then I'm done with Christmas baking/cooking. 

Respected Contributor

My MIL was a fantastic cook, but her 5 children never ate a homemade cookie growing up. She said they wouldn't last long, and it was easier to make a cake. Her pound cake is legendary in the family; the recipe calls for whipped egg whites, which makes for a crispy crust. 

Cookies are my favorite things to bake. There are always new flavors and recipes to try. 

I look forward to the holidays when special baking magazines come out, especially the cookie ones. I have a collection that spans the years!

Respected Contributor

True Story:

I have NEVER EVER used an OVEN, ever...and will never.

Honored Contributor

ME!!Re: Anyone Else Dislike Making Cookies?

ME!! I hate to cook.

Honored Contributor

Re: ME!!Re: Anyone Else Dislike Making Cookies?

I love baking, but cookies.... not so much, for all the reasons you mentioned. I don't really like eating them, either. I'd much rather have a beautiful slice of cake than a cookie.  I do make family favorites when requested, but otherwise I could live without them.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

I absolutely love baking cookies; especially Christmas cookies.  It's a creative outlet for me.  For many Christmases, I would get together with a friend to bake cookies.  Each of us would choose 3 recipes, and then divide them up at the end of the day. We would start early, drink wine while we were baking (LOL), and go home with 6 different varieties.  It was so much fun.  Sadly, my friend moved to FL after a few years, but we both miss our yearly tradition. 

Valued Contributor

As much as I enjoy Christmas cookies, I do not make them.  I prefer to bake cakes during the holidays. 

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 - In my younger years  when my dtr. was young I would make all kinds of drop cookies for the holidays.  I only made decorated sugar cookies a couple times.  Didn't have the patience for rolling and cutting out cookies.  I would like to find a recipe for gingersnaps.  When I was a little girl a neighbor around the corner gave out gingersnaps for Halloween in a cute napkin.  They were so delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

Sweets/Desserts are one thing I can usually take or leave so baking has never been a priority.  However, when I used to bake cookies they would turn out terrible because I would rush the process.  I eventually just made chocolate chip and just put the whole mixture in a pan and made bar cookies.  I actually haven't made cookies in probably 25-30 years.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown