Esteemed Contributor

Anyone Else Dislike Making Cookies?

I love homemade cookies but I hate making them.

A cake or pie, once it is mixed/made and in the oven, you can clean up, and other than frosting a cake, you are done. They take at least 30 minutes to bake and you have time to fold clothes, vacuum etc.Cookies take what 10 minutes, you can't venture far.

Cookies seem like they are never ending. On the cookie sheets, bake, take them off to cool, reload sheets, put cooled cookies in containers rinse and repeat and repeat.

Is there anything you prefer not to bake?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Dislike Making Cookies?

Baking cookies is tedious, however I remember dedicating a whole day in the kitchen making Christmas cookies and it was fun. Now if I do one batch it's a big deal. I've got a yen for molasses ginger cookies , so I'll bite the bullet.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I hate baking...cookies, cakes or pies.  I do like eating them and my DD does a great job making some wonderful pastries.

If I want to have warm from the oven cookies, I'll get the slice & bake (once a year)...easy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate they are so durn time consuming.  The only cookies I am bonkers over are Mexican wedding cookies and Toll House cookies.

I do the wedding cookies for Christmas while I dip pretzels.  Now having an issue finding the big tie pretzels.  Our store only gets the small.Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

I agree - especially during the holidays, don't usually have the extra time that is needed to make cookies.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1   I would get a wild hair to bake cookies and after the third round of filling the cookies sheets I looked at the counter full of cooling racks, waiting containers and a bowl with a lot of dough left and wonder whar was I thinking.

Respected Contributor

Oh and the rolling the dough, wrapping the dough, refrigerating, then cutting, baking...and decorating. The food coloring, the icing, the sprinkles, the cinnamon candies, the powered sugar. Fun at one time, but as with much of my baking and cooking, what was once a labor of love is now just labor.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not particularly care for the time it takes to bake a big batch of cookies, but because my family LOVES my white and dark chocolate chips with toasted macadamia nut cookies, I lament-SOMETIMES. It makes the frustration worthwhile.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I love homemade cookies but I hate making them.

A cake or pie, once it is mixed/made and in the oven, you can clean up, and other than frosting a cake, you are done. They take at least 30 minutes to bake and you have time to fold clothes, vacuum etc.Cookies take what 10 minutes, you can't venture far.

Cookies seem like they are never ending. On the cookie sheets, bake, take them off to cool, reload sheets, put cooled cookies in containers rinse and repeat and repeat.

Is there anything you prefer not to bake?

Too funny! I agree completely!! I HATE the in-and-out of the oven every 8-10 minutes. I like baking - but it has to be something that goes into the oven once for a period of time - one and done.

The only time I will make cookies is if my husband agrees to help - and he has to man the oven! It is still a pain, though.

The only exception is what we call snowballs - but I think others call them Mexican wedding cakes. I can fit the entire recipe (3 doz) on one baking sheet. So it is only one time in the oven.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been baking almost everyday for the past two weeks.  I hope to be done tomorrow, except for pies which I will make on Christmas Eve Day.

I don't mind making cookies that are the drop variety like oatmeal rasin, chocolate chip, Italian wedding cookies, etc.

I am not an artist and hate to do fancy art work on sugar cookies, so I no longer make that type...except for every few years, maybe.

Right now I have four types of dough cooling in the fridge.  These are my last cookies for this Christmas.  They all require rolling, cutting and filling them, and one type is a yeast recipe, so I saved them for last.  One is a soft sugar cookie that is easy to make but  I have to make them and hide them quickly.

I save these for last not only because they are not my favorite to make, but because my DH has been known to eat a double batch of them in a few hours.  He just can't leave them alone.

When I complain, he says just make more.  I do, but I am not happy about it.

I also made povatica, pumpkin and poppy seed rolls.  They are hiding in the freezer or they would be gone too.

When I am done, I will have made 14 different types of cookies.  I also make candy turtles, caramels, fudge, chocolate covered pretzel sticks and old fashioned clear toys.

I always bake a lot, but only this great amount once a year.  My DH celebrates orthodox Cheistmas in January 7, so I make enough for both Days.

What I dislike the most is that I can't sample almost everything I make because I can't have gluten.  The candy is okay, but the cookies and other baked goods no.