Honored Contributor

Re: Any fellow 🐿 🐿 🐿 out there.

I fried squirrel once for DH.  His family had been on a shoot and his mother cleaned them all for the boys to take home.  She left hair on one of them which I didn't see when I breaded them.   I saw it later and I freaked ... he ate them, loved the way I prepared them and never brought anymore home.

i prefer feeding them.  Now, back to stockpilling.  LOL  We do the same thing.  Getting stuff for the freezer, flour, pasta, soup goodies, etc.  But, we do the same thing for spring/summer. 

I can promise that we always decide to have something that we don't have and have to make a run for it.  Impossible to be ready for everything and anything when you don't know what you might come across that you just have to have.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

My gas light comes on frequently, @house_cat.  DH calls me Kramer after a character on Seinfeld. 

I’ve started buying Christmas baking supplies. It’s not because I worry about not having what I need, I just like to get a head start. I have no reason why!  Before I retired I had a long list of what I needed and I’d get everything in one trip the first week in December. Now I buy a couple of things every time I head to the store. 

Not that I don’t worry about things, but they are silly things that most people wouldn’t give a thought to. 

Our squirrels are going crazy getting ready for winter. We have a couple of oak trees so they are in acorn heaven. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I am already in stocking mode for winter.  

It’s what I do this time of year, starting in September, and ending a week before Christmas.   Once I make that last grocery run before Christmas, I do my absolute best not to set foot in a grocery store until late March.  

I do not schedule medical or dental appts during flu season, and do everything possible to limit my exposure during winter months.   Last year got a bit off track when I had an unexpected twist with my knee surgery, but even with that I didn’t leave my house/do any in-store shopping from Nov 21st until mid February.  

My husband and daughters pick up the few things we need, like milk, bread, eggs, and bananas.   We are root vegetable people, not salad people, so we start the winter with 100 lbs of potatoes, 100 lbs of onions, lots of cabbage, carrots, and celery.   By the end of this month, there is no “fresh” fruit or vegetables to be found here except what is in the grocery store.     

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc

I'm sorry if they look creepy on your screen!  It wasn't my intention to gross out the kitchen forum!  I'm sorry.

They look like cute little squirrels on my Mac laptop, but when I opened the forum at work yesterday, they looked like rats!  Oh dear!

Can you view them this way?

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 5.57.21 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I see them as squirrels!  (Some would say squrrels are rat-like, though).  I've always heard that you have to look out for "warbles" in your to-be-eaten squirrels.  I have not put that one to the test.  I have a neighbor who enjoys his "target" practice, over there on his mostly wooded acreage.

I think I do tend to stock up this time of year.  Instinctual, I'm sure, and then on down the line in the modern world, I think about power outages and what might be necessary, especially in the colder months.

I do try to stay ahead of all things grocery related, anyway, but right now I can't even stand the thought of not having back-ups of things that I've barely touched, and will in likelihood last at least a few weeks (for instance, ketchup and mustard, for sure coffee, and the like).

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@loriqvc

I'm sorry if they look creepy on your screen!  It wasn't my intention to gross out the kitchen forum!  I'm sorry.

They look like cute little squirrels on my Mac laptop, but when I opened the forum at work yesterday, they looked like rats!  Oh dear!

Can you view them this way?

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 5.57.21 AM.png

@house_cat - Yes, those squirrels are MUCH cuter and more recognizable. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

DH calls me a squirrel, because at the first hint of cooler weather, I start stocking up on baking supplies.  I live in walking distance to two grocery stores and our weather never prevents me from getting out, yet I'm forever fearful of not having what I need when the urge to bake something takes over. 

I'm just as squirrelly about cooking supplies and I should also mention that I never let my gas tank dip below half.  

Any fellow 🐿 🐿  out there?

I think my husband wishes I had that problem!  

But I never like my gas tank to be below 3/4 of a tank.