Honored Contributor

Any favorite brands of electric skillets?

I don't do a lot of frying these days. I make fritters or doughnuts on occasion which could use some space to fry in. I can deep fry them on the stovetop but then I have to be monitoring and adjusting the frying oil temperature constantly. The electric skillets look like a better option to me. Set the temp and they maintain it on their own. And they're typically twelve inches or so square, so things can spread out nicely.

Among the ones I'm seeing on Amazon are "interesting" brands that I'm largely unfamiliar with. (Elite, Bella, Ovente, Samoris, being some of the odder names.) 

The things I fry don't need a lot of oil, an inch is plenty, so deep fryers aren't necessary and the smaller ones like the Fry Daddy get a bit cramped with the food I fry. Most of the electric skillets are two-plus inches deep so plenty of room even when the food displaces some of the oil. Doughnuts and fritters rise from the bottom quickly so just their bottom half stays submerged in the oil. They're also food you don't want touching or crowded.

Pretty much all of them get similar ratings, four plus stars, are twelve-ish inches, and use 1200 watts, so not much to differentiate them from one another. I've never bought one and I haven't used one in probably twenty years, so yeah. If anyone has recent experience with one I'd love to hear about it and any pros or cons you've found with the one you bought. A conventional deep fryer with oil several inches deep isn't needed for what I fry. I need more width of oil than depth. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'd like to keep the price under $60. There's a wide selection in that price range with good reviews.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Any favorite brands of electric skillets?

@gardenman Good morning!   I have a Curtis Stone 14" round electric skillet and I love it!   I use it often for all kinds of meals.  It's on sale right now ($39.95) on HSN # 861-874

For me it's the perfect size, has plenty of room......anything I cannot stand is trying to cook in something too small.  I'm an aggressive stirrer, LOL!

Excited for football today Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@gardenman : I'm interested in a square electric skillet to put on my Christmas wish list for DH. Amazon has one by Hamilton Beach that is a good brand . Regularly $59.99 for $49.99 . Large enough to also cook different meals .

Screenshot_20240908-093108_kindlephoto-139882476.png

Honored Contributor

Thanks! I'll check them both out!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Another option is to buy a single burner induction portable cooktop if you already have an induction compatible skillet.  You're going to get a lot of splatter deep frying in a skillet and most of the electric skillets cannot be submerged in water to clean them.  They can get grungy pretty fast.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman : I am now looking at the Presto electric skillet. The 12 inch is $34.96. It's cheaper on Walmart and the control dial is easier to read. Plus one has the ceramic coating. I love my ceramic cook ware.

Just sharing some information. I am dealing with a bad back and difficult to stand up and cook. I just scared my self with the stove top trying to stand up and cook my ground beef.  I am thinking this would be easier and safer to use sitting down at the table to cook. Considering purchasing a larger one to prepare our meals. It has gotten expensive using uber eats and grub hub for prepared meals.

Honored Contributor

Cleaning shouldn't be a big issue as it'll get used infrequently. Some are submersible once you remove the heating probe. Even if not I have good degreasers that make cleaning things pretty easy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friend bought two of those Curtis Stone electric skillets. She had already owned the first one for over a year and then came back and bought another when it was a TS on Hsn not too long ago. She really loves them. Just be sure and not to submerge the electrical plug socket under water. It's not totally waterproof nor can it go inside of a dishwasher.

$40

https://www.hsn.com/products/curtis-stone-14-62qt-dura-pan-nonstick-electric-skillet/22346211?query=...

Honored Contributor

@gardenman,  is an electric skillet something you would use on a regular basis?  If not evaluate whether an induction burner would work for your needs.  You get the same temperature control but it takes less storage space and can be used with any size induction ready vessel.

As for brands, a couple or so years ago HSN had a two pack of small slow cookers that I purchased.  They are Bella brand and I've been very happy with them. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I've been using Presto electric skillets for years. I think I'm on my third one, over a 50+ year period. I also own a large Presto griddle that I love.  

Their skillets are sturdy, made of cast aluminum (a good heat conductor), with a nonstick surface. They have 2 sizes on Amazon right now, an 11 x 11 inch ($40) and 12 X 16 inch ($60). 

Be careful when reading dimensions of an electric skillet online - what's important is the size of the cooking surface. The dimensions in ads often give total size, which includes the handles!