Honored Contributor

Re: Any Bread Pudding Fans Here?

I am not a fan.  My farm grandma made bread pudding a lot, due to having an abundance of eggs, fresh milk, and stale biscuits.  No amount of sugar, raisins, apples, cinnamon, vanilla, etc., takes away the distinct smell of fresh cows milk you get with every bite.  

My sweet Grandma died 50+ years ago, but bread pudding is still not on my radar.  

Honored Contributor

I love all bread pudding....this has become the most requested from my family:

Pecan Pie Bread Pudding with Prailine Sauce
This Pecan Pie Bread Pudding has the signature sweet, sticky, crunchy flavor of pecan pie married into a delicious dessert or breakfast treat.

• 6 cups Italian or French bread, cubed
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup sugar    **I use less
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • **I've been know to add a splash of Jim Beam Honey Bourbon
Instructions
1.                  Cube the bread into bite size pieces- it should be a day or two old, not fresh. Place bread in a large bowl. 
2.      Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and white sugar. 
3.      Pour over bread to coat completely; let soak for 10 minutes. **I SOAK FOR AN HOUR.
4.      Pour the bread mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  *I USE A 3 QT TEMPTATIONS OVAL BAKER
5.       In a medium bowl, combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and melted butter. 
6.      Pour the butter mixture over the bread and top with pecans. 
7.      Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
8.       SERVE WARM MAYBE WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM OR WHIPPED CREAM
Nutrition
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 157mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 5% | Vitamin C: 0.2% | Calcium: 8.1% | Iron: 6.6%

Optional Praline Sauce
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Meanwhile, prepare the Praline Sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until foamy and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in cream and brown sugar; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in vanilla and salt; cook, whisking constantly, until bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately over warm bread pudding.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love it and have been trying to find Gelson's recipe in Newport Beach, CA.

I found a recipe on their website, but it's not the same sold in their grocery store.  Found one on the internet claiming it is their's, but it's not.  I tried to duplicate it, but couldn't get it right.  

It's the best I ever had.  Anyone have it?

Respected Contributor

Many years ago I found a microwave bread pudding recipe that is really good but I have made many different ways. 

Sometimes I use the little rice cooker machine and just do a couple of helpings. 

I have to have cool whip on mine. lol

Years ago qvc sold a blueberry bread pudding that was really good, I wish they would bring it back.

Respected Contributor

I used to make it from my great grandmother's recipe, but haven't made in years.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had it once in a restaurant but it's not something I grew up with.  Desserts and bread aren't my favorite thing in the world so while the one I had was OK, it's just not something I ever crave and want to have.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

YES!!! Love bread pudding---made one for Xmas a couple times--one was  eggnog and the other made with panettone italian bread---so delicious!! Had one in a restaurant that was apple and cranberry---heavenly!!! would never add raisins to anything!!!Woman Mad

Respected Contributor

I adore bread pudding. A local restaurant served a fantastic array of food (all-you-can-eat), and the bread pudding was to die for!

Unfortunately, the pandemic closed the fabulous food train down.

Miss that pudding!

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain   Most desserts I can pass on but bread, never.

If given the choice between a wow dessert or a loaf of great warm crusty bread, and some butter, the bread will win every time.

Honored Contributor

I make it once in a while.  My husband likes it, but he would rather I make rice pudding.  

I prefer rice pudding too.