Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Sprinkle baby powder on them and their trail. Works really well.

Respected Contributor

Get a spray bottle and fill with water and 25% salt. Shake well. Spray, boom, dead. My friend just sent this to me yesterday. The less chemicals the better. She says it works.

Honored Contributor

Funny you'd get them in February, must not be ice-cold by you. I find that regular ant traps do the trick.

Frequent Contributor

I just learned that soaking orange peels in vinegar for a few days and then spray that mixture in the area works well. I haven't tried it yet, but I am planning on it before they even think about coming in here!

Super Contributor
We are also dealing with ants in NW NJ where it has been in the minus numbers. For us, however, they are in both my bathrooms which share a common wall. I try to find point of entry but so far I can't. Our type of ant is different than summer ants . I am thinking because we are letting our water drip, so as to not freeze, and that is bringing them in. We are not infested but probably 10-15 per day. Hoping when it warms up, they will be gone but then summer ants will be here.
Respected Contributor
On 2/25/2015 cookie16 said: We are also dealing with ants in NW NJ where it has been in the minus numbers. For us, however, they are in both my bathrooms which share a common wall. I try to find point of entry but so far I can't. Our type of ant is different than summer ants . I am thinking because we are letting our water drip, so as to not freeze, and that is bringing them in. We are not infested but probably 10-15 per day. Hoping when it warms up, they will be gone but then summer ants will be here.

We call them sugar ants, the teeny tiny ones. Don't actually have them where I live now, but they were a pain when I lived in Utah. I've also used soapy water in a spray bottle outside for those who don't want to use chemicals.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

You can also try putting down a pile of grits. The ants take it back to the nest and they supposedly blow up. It expands in their stomach.

Regular Contributor

Every year I post this. People must not trust me. Diatomaceous earth is the way to go. They call it food grade or farm grade. Do not use ""pool"" grade.

Respected Contributor

We got little black ants just after Thanksgiving in our kitchen and bathrooms. At first, we just saw a couple at a time, but it turned out we had many more. They were coming in through our laundry room and using the pipes as their main highways in the house. We used 2 products to get rid of them: Terro and Zap-a-Roach Roach and Ant Killer. As the others have stated, the Terro is great for attracting them so they'll take it back to their nests. It has a scent that attracts them - not heavy, but you can detect it. Just make sure you don't put it directly on the floor or other surface, as it dries really hard in a couple of days. We were surprised at how many died on contact, some of whom got stuck to the bathroom floors. The Zap-a-Roach is 100% boric acid powder and it is also geared to having them take it back to their nests. We put this around the baseboards in our kitchen (we don't have any small children or pets). Once we realized they were coming in through the laundry room, we spread this at every possible access point and it really killed them. We bought the Terro at Home Depot and the Zap-a-Roach at Amazon (we had googled Roach Proof and this came up). It took us @ 5 weeks to get rid of them, but only a couple of days once we realized the laundry room was their main entry point. It's hard to refrain from squashing them when you see them, but they've got to take the poisons back to their nests. We woresurgical-type rubber gloves whenever we applied either product. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Ants are common during extreme weather - hot, cold, or wet. I like the Raid Double Control Ant Traps. If you can find the spot where they are coming in, you can also sprinkle the area with ground cinnamon. Ants won't cross cinnamon and smells nice for you!