Valued Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@manhattan1950

Try this, maybe for a change.........

Get a high-quality piece of beef on your plate, and DO NOT eat the fat parts?

That's what most steak-lovers  and rib-eye lovers do.

I've spent my entire life eating  meats and   trimming fat off of ham slices and roast beef  or anything else, before I eat it.  What remains is very good meat

I've spent my entire life eating healthy food - seafood, chicken, and turkey, so I DON'T  have to trim fat from fatty ham and fatty beef.

Respected Contributor

@manhattan1950

Curious about why you are participating in a thread about a food that you don't eat?

Do you have any good recipes to share for food that you DO eat?

Respected Contributor

Re: Aldi's Prime Rib

[ Edited ]

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@manhattan1950

I've spent my entire life eating  meats and   trimming fat off of ham slices and roast beef  or anything else, before I eat it.  What remains is very good meat

I've spent my entire life eating healthy food - seafood, chicken, and turkey, so I DON'T  have to trim fat from fatty ham and fatty beef.

OK, so that is great for you-  Everyone should eat what they feel is best for them.

But I am confused...are you loooking for accolades here? I dont really understand your post, nor why you chose to post on an obviously  rib roast  inspired thread at all?

Are you hoping to provoke others on the thread? or  do you feel your eating habits make you somehow superior to others who eat this type of meat, and it is your smug way of a put down?

You tried a similar thing on my "pork belly" thread on the recipe forum, and were pretty much ignored, so now you came here to stir things up a little?

Trusted Contributor

I am glad you posted the info on Aldi's Prime Rib, I went and bought one today, the roast looks so good.

Trusted Contributor

@patofl wrote:

I would never freeze high quality prime rib. I order ahead at the butcher shop and pick it up fresh on Christmas eve.

If I just wanted it to make right away , say within a few days, the Aldi ones are a good price.

@patofl

Sounds delicious.

Is it USDA Prime, Choice, or Select quality?

How many ribs?

Is it from large or small end?

To what degree of doneness do you cook your Prime Rib Roast?

Do you sous vide?

Hung

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

If ALDI is actually offering REAL  USDA-graded prime rib roasts, instead of a beef grade more like USDA Choice, that is news to me.  

There has always been some confusion among consumers as to the difference between TRUE prime rib roast, and choice-grade rib roast. 

People often think any rib roast is called "prime rib", but it's not really prime-grade meat. It's good, but it's not prime..

We can occasionally find USDA prime-grade beef steaks and roasts at Costco, but it costs a lot more than the usual steaks or roasts, of course. 

@novamc1

They only sell Choice Grade meat at the grocery stores around here. If you want Prime Grade Black Angus you have to go to the meat market.

That's what I said in my other post about buying a 4-5 lb Prime Grade Black Angus Prime Rib Roast for $75 or $18 per lb. vs the Choice Grade Prime Rib Roast at Adli on sale for $5.99 per lb.

The ones I bought were about 5 lbs & around $30 each.

You can definitely taste the difference in Prime vs Choice.

The Prime is so much more tender it melts in your mouth & can cut it with your fork.

The Choice Grade is still good. DH cut 2 of them into ribeye steaks. It's suppose to be nice this weekend so having a couple of friends over to grill steaks out. Froze the other one whole.

Steaks DH cut off Prime Rib from Aldi's.

steaks20181212_170729_resized.jpg

I would NEVER eat that - WAY too much fat - ENJOY!!!

@manhattan1950

@Nightowlz

@hayseed00

@Mothertrucker

@novamc1

Looks yummy.  Well marbeled.

Do you sous vide?

Hung

Trusted Contributor

Re: Aldi's Prime Rib

[ Edited ]
@patofl wrote:

@novamc1  My DH is a butcher, so I'd like to tell you that GOOD QUALITY meat has marbling thru it because  the fat = flavor. Fat tastes good. Yes, I do trim the outer , obvious fat off meat before I cook it, but once the meat has been cooked any fat on it has cooked entirely thru the meat- just look at the juices that run off meat - the fats float on the top and are very obvious. When you grill a steak and it drips into the flames and flares up - it is the fats in those juices that are burning. So never fool yourself that you are cutting the fat off because the fat has "melted" during cooking and is in every bite you eat. Trimming far from removes all the fats.

@novamc1

@patofl

Your butcher DH is on point.

@When I’m in Japan, I have enjoy eating top quality A5 Kobe Beef steak.   Japanese Waygu is 25% vs. 6% USDA marbling to beef ratio.  IOW, very fatty beef.  But marbling makes the Kobe Beef very tender.  And butter  soft.   Grilled rare on a teppan flat top.  Expensive @ $100- $200 for 3-4 ounces of Kobe Beef steak.  But worth it if you enjoy steak.  Japanese Kobe Beef is expensive and I understand not for everyone.

American Kobe Beef is also very good if you can find it.  Not quite as good but also not as expensive as Japanese Kobe Beef.

Enjoy your Prime Rib Roast!  Just don’t make it well done!   Cat Sad

Hung

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@manhattan1950

OK, so that is great for you-  Everyone should eat what they feel is best for them.

But I am confused...are you loooking for accolades here? I dont really understand your post, nor why you chose to post on an obviously  rib roast  inspired thread at all?

Are you hoping to provoke others on the thread? or  do you feel your eating habits make you somehow superior to others who eat this type of meat, and it is your smug way of a put down?

You tried a similar thing on my "pork belly" thread on the recipe forum, and were pretty much ignored, so now you came here to stir things up a little?

@Mothertrucker.  Read some of her other posts on these forums and you will see. Don't know why she posts here except to put other posters down and make fun of them. Obviously the mods don't care.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@manhattan1950

@Mothertrucker.  Read some of her other posts on these forums and you will see. Don't know why she posts here except to put other posters down and make fun of them. Obviously the mods don't care.

It reflects poorly on her, it is almost like bullying in a way...sad thart she feels the need to alienate others  in her zeal- perhaps her choices have made her a target inthe past and she feels she must lash out or be lashed AT?

Honored Contributor

Thanks to this thread, I now have one in my freezer for Christmas. 

Question:

How do you prepare it? I've never cooked a prime rib roast so....help!!!