Super Contributor

Re: $8 a jar for spaghetti sauce?

Nothing better then my moms homemade sauce
Honored Contributor

I make my own sauce, takes hours on the stove, nothing compares. I keep a few jar sauces in the cupboard just in case...you never know.

That said, the ONLY sauce that one can EVER use on spaghetti and veal (or turkey) cutlets is Ragu's. Nothing else will work. Nothing else tastes like it. It MUST be Ragu's. Why?

Because that is what Mama used. : )

Honored Contributor

@Spurt   Oh, I need to find and try this!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I don't get even puzzling over what people spend on groceries or what they eat.  It's a matter of income, taste, convenience, and a jillion other things.  And obviously we are all different.

Then there are the people who simply cannot not eat jarred sauce because they "are Italian".  Which makes me eternally glad I am a hillbilly and not unable to eat of a lot of things more sophisticated people can't eat!  Including the occasional Happy Meal!  Woman Very Happy  But I will lay out the cash for a beautiful T-Bone any day! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee I prefer making my tomato sauce from scratch, but I do keep commercial sauce, including Ragu, Francesco Rinaldi and @house_cat Hunt's on hand.

I just discovered that up to June 18th Harris Teeter is featuring a brand that is new to me:  26 oz. jars, several varieties, of LaFamiglia DelGrosso pasta sauce on sale--buy one/get one free.  A jar is normally $7.99 so I'll buy two and see if I add it permanently to my "lazy cooking day" supply along with Victoria's and Rao's that I buy when they are on sale like this brand is.

Company's sauce has very good reviews and has been 

around since 1914, initially within a family restaurant, and later as a commercial sauce.

The next time I have a "lazy sauce" day I will use it and report my findings.

Their website has a lot of what appear to be good recipes, as well.   And I'm always on the hunt for those!