Honored Contributor

Re: $8 a jar for spaghetti sauce?

Hunt's Original Style Traditional Spaghetti Sauce 28 oz

On sale at most locations for a $1.00.  Just Dr. it up yourself and spend savings elsewhere.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

Hate people who won't spend on a great jar of sauce and have a great meal.,... So buy only one jar and treat yourself - won't put you in the poor house... OMG... Enjoy great foods that are out there - you only go around once....YIKES.... I don't have a lot of money either but I never cheat myself to something special...

Honored Contributor

I went food shopping at King Kullen today Rao's was $9 for a jar. I would like to try it, maybe if it ever goes on sale I will.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rao's is also what Ina Garten recommends...

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

What I'm about to say is going to make some of you cringe.   Don't scroll down if you're one of those people who faint at the sight of canned foods.

faint.gif

Okay, for the rest of us....

When I don't have time to make my sauce, I open a can or two of Hunt's sauce and start doctoring it up - sometimes mushrooms, onions, garlic, bell peppers, meat.... whatever the rest of the meal calls for.  In my opinion, it always turns out delicious and I never pay more than $1 for a can.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 12.27.43 PM.png

I've tried them all, including Rao's, which I don't think was worth the extra money.  

I buy that all the time!  Funnything is, no one knows it's the "cheap" stuff esecially when doctored up.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a store that when i go ,i buy a $ 8.00 jar , that is so darn good.Yes ,it is michaels of brooklyn,sauce.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I suppose everyone doesn't have your taste buds and everyone isn't you.  If you pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee then $8.00 isn't a lot for a jar of pasta sauce.  At $8, it's pasta sauce...LOL    

Honored Contributor

I say live and let live, if  you can afford and enjoy an expensive jarred sauce, you should. Speaking for myself, I can't see spending over $6 for a jar of sauce.

Honored Contributor

Stop and Shop is having a sale starting tomorrow in my area

a lil something for everyone's budget

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 10.40.14 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl wrote:

Hate people who won't spend on a great jar of sauce and have a great meal.,... So buy only one jar and treat yourself - won't put you in the poor house... OMG... Enjoy great foods that are out there - you only go around once....YIKES.... I don't have a lot of money either but I never cheat myself to something special...

Really? Is this the criteria on which you judge people?

~ house cat ~