Frequent Contributor

I was at the grocery store yesterday buying a "normal" size turkey. Some woman special ordered a 42 lb turkey. When the butcher wheeled it out it took up the entire shopping cart. People standing around were aghast...they starting asking her questions. Frankly, I am not sure how she was planning on defrosting it by Thursday. Imagine just trying to get it in your oven? It was a sight to behold.

Honored Contributor

I'm no chef, but I don't think even a commercial over would accommodate a 42 lb. turkey.  The experts say it's better to buy 2 or 3 15lb. turkeys and roast those to feed a crew. Larger turkeys just don't get done right, to cook them all the way through will result in a dry turkey every time.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't want an old turkey that had lived so long as to triple the average young bird's size.  It's like selecting the largest yellow summer squash in the bin.  It's always dry - has big dry seeds - and a tough skin.  If you hadn't seen this 40 lb turkey - I would have said they never grow that big.  But I believe you.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99

I have a 24" inch oven my 9 x 13 pan barely fits in the oven.  I have also read/hears to use 2-3 smaller birds instead of a humongous one.

I do not not any one that could handle one that large

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

It seems like even if it fit into your oven, it would be a tight fit. I would be concerned that there wasn't enough air-flow around it.  Also, I would think defrosting it would cause the outside to be defrosted hours before the inside and that doesn't sound very safe. Then again, I'm certainly no turkey expert.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I have a huge oven and it would fit, but you couldn’t give me a turkey that big.  It would be too tough.  I’d rather have a couple of smaller turkeys if I was feeding a ton of people.

i wonder if Disney uses 40 lb turkeys for their giant turkey legs.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have a huge oven and it would fit, but you couldn’t give me a turkey that big.  It would be too tough.  I’d rather have a couple of smaller turkeys if I was feeding a ton of people.

i wonder if Disney uses 40 lb turkeys for their giant turkey legs.  

@Carmie

I'm pretty sure they use pteradactls.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Bet it's going on an outdoor spit roaster.

Honored Contributor

Bet that's one tough bird. LOL!!! That's what I have always heard. Seems like the smaller ones have better taste & not tough.

Honored Contributor

blackhole99 wrote:

I'm no chef, but I don't think even a commercial over would accommodate a 42 lb. turkey.  The experts say it's better to buy 2 or 3 15lb. turkeys and roast those to feed a crew. Larger turkeys just don't get done right, to cook them all the way through will result in a dry turkey every time.

Yeah, that's my thought too.  Well, and the fact that it's not going to fit into anybody's oven.    

I can only assume this person has done this before and has a plan - Probably either breaking it down or doing a spatch....   (probably  part of that word won't go here, but you know what I mean)  Smiley Wink