Honored Contributor

I don't know how a bird that large could even walk?  It seems sort of cruel to think  they are engineering animals to get this size, without a thought for the suffering it has to endure

Respected Contributor

Maybe she has access to a restaurant oven for that huge turkey. I don't think I could even pick it up to put it in or out of the oven. I would just do a few smaller ones cooks in half the time. 

Respected Contributor

A misguided attempt to recreate the ending to Dickens " A Christmas Carol"?

Honored Contributor

Re: 40 lb turkey??

[ Edited ]

I'd seperate the dark meat form the white and bake seperately.  It would have to be carved very thin because, like @Housecat, I doubt it would be tender.  If that were the case, I'd recook in the crock pot and make dumplimgs.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it was for a restaurant buffet place like Furr's, Golden Corral, etc.

Valued Contributor

A 42lb turkey? Reminds me of A Muppet Family Christmas when the swedish chef wanted to try and cook Big Bird.

Honored Contributor

Re: 40 lb turkey??

[ Edited ]

You can watch a 42lb turkey being roasted in a home oven on YouTube.  The oven racks were removed and two bricks were inserted in the bottom to lay the pan on.

this Tom Turkey was 60lbs before he was dressed.  Big turkeys are not unusual, they are just not common at your market.

Honored Contributor

Yikes!  Can you imagine lifting it out of the oven?  I never heard of one that large and I don't think it would cook well or taste very good.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't know how a bird that large could even walk?  It seems sort of cruel to think  they are engineering animals to get this size, without a thought for the suffering it has to endure

Ah, no one is engineering a turkey to get this big.  Tom turkeys can naturally grow to be this size if they are allowed to live long enough.  At 6 to 7 months they are full grown. They are usually taken to market weeks earlier because no too many people want a turkey that big. 

Honored Contributor

My first thought was that it would be one tough bird.