Trusted Contributor

$200 for a fine bakery cake is acceptable.  But $200 for that mess sold on a shopping channel is ridiculous to me too.

Occasional Contributor

REG 242.00 for 199.90 lol. David did a happy dance.. I liked to know how many were sold? 

Occasional Contributor

not for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!  how many did they sell?

Honored Contributor

LOL   It's two pies baked into a cake.  Kind of like stuffed crust pizza.  Not good!!

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

$200 is not a lot for a cake. If you’re used to buying sheet cakes at Walmart, then yes, that would be a hefty price for you.  For those who buy at fine, neighborhood bakeries, this is the norm.

Seriously? I clearly don't hang out in fine neighborhood bakeries, but how on Earth would anyone justify that price even for a fine bakery cake? Cakes, by and large, tend to use fairly simple, inexpensive ingredients and are relatively quick to make. (Unlike some breads that can be a multi-day process.) Is someone out there making cakes out of white truffles or something? That's about the only way I could see them justifying a price like that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I would go in to the Dean & DeLuca or Neiman Marcus websites.  Their desserts are pricey.  I thought, for 12 pounds, that the price was high.  Yes, it would probably be delicious - it is from Junior's, after all - but I would have liked to see it about $150.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if QVC is working on a main dish to sell along with it - a frozen casserole with layers of steak burgers, stuffed chicken breasts, boneless ribs, bacon mac and cheese and prime rib, topped with potstickers.  I think they could ask at least 5 payments of $100 for that... and if they're listening, I want a cut of it for coming up with the idea :-)

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I too thought it looked dry and yucky. Just a mess. If I was going to spend $200 for desert I would rather have several different deserts so my guests could pick and choose. If they wanted a bit of everything they could have that. But this mess just looked disgusting.  I like the KISS philosophy when it comes to food. Keep It Simple Stupid. This thing just looks like someone’s idea of lets throw it against a wall and see if it sticks. I don’t find Juniors deserts all that great anyway. 

Honored Contributor

I did not see GOLD or platinum used in any of these layers, hence the reason this is not worth $219 or $242 when they raise the price. Junior's should be ashamed baking such a thing and charging such a price.

Respected Contributor

Re: $200 for a cake???!!!!

[ Edited ]

The price is in line for custom cakes.  Here is a cake I had made for DH's "big" birthday and paid double that price:

IMG_0708.jpg