Super Contributor

Wonder If This Will Make QVC Lower Gold Prices?

Just read an article on line at Cnn.com about the plummenting gold prices.

Wonder if QVC will have to start lowering jewelry prices?    

I wanted to provide a link to the article, but for some reason I can't paste it here.

Valued Contributor

Re: Wonder If This Will Make QVC Lower Gold Prices?

@Apple Head wrote:

Just read an article on line at Cnn.com about the plummenting gold prices.

Wonder if QVC will have to start lowering jewelry prices?    

I wanted to provide a link to the article, but for some reason I can't paste it here.

I make Jewellery....handmade, artisan type with mostly semiprecious stones. So, I follow metal prices regularly. Many large vendors have gotten a bit too comfortable using bronze, ionic platings, low grade sterling silver, copper and the like. They all should start lowering prices and using better, purer metals...anytime now!

However, IMHO ~ as much as we are given the impression that they all want to use gold, high end quality sterling...I believe they've become accustomed to the large profit margins. 

I truly hope these big vendors and designers indeed do go back to gold as it were. If small independent artisans like me can do it...certainly the big boys can!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Maybe, but remember it takes a long time for the prices you see on the financial news which are future commodity prices to filter down to artists and factories.  Given QVC's big orders, I'd think more than a year.

I like to go to the craft shows during the season here in Florida and I'm not expecting prices to be down much at all -  because of the timing, but also because the metal is only one part of the price of jewelry, and while the metyals are down, most of the gemstones have gone up more than the metals have gone down.

Esteemed Contributor

First you would actually have to make something out of gold in order to lower prices. Everything they do is bronze, resin etc. 

Super Contributor

@meowing kitty wrote:

First you would actually have to make something out of gold in order to lower prices. Everything they do is bronze, resin etc. 

Good point.   I'm so tired of the resin and bronze jewelry.   I miss the old days when QVC had the best silver and gold jewelry.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with the comments here - QVC mostly sells jewelry with a bronze base or other cheaper metals (like every other retail outlet at these prices). I'm not disputing what you read, but gold prices don't "plummet" and even if they drop a little, it takes time to see lower prices reflected in the jewelry market. And that brings my other point....I've bought some Bronzo jewelry items and have had mixed results - some are good and some of them have faded or scratched. Gold is just more expensive and we sure won't see cheaper prices (in my opinion) in gold jewelry. Gold is still the standard.

Esteemed Contributor

Jewelry on shopping channels is expensive, especially the silver stuff. Silver isn't an expensive metal at all, yet you would think that the silver in jewelry is as valuable as gold.

I quit watching jewelry shows on shopping channels and only look online at vendors that I've bought from before. I would rather look at fashion jewelry or make my own fashion jewelry from going to Michael's craft store.

Honored Contributor

I have to wear at least 14k because of the percentage of alloy (and what type of alloy) they use in the lower karat weights (I break out and turn the item black).  I also can't wear regular silver, again, I turn the item black and develop a rash if it isn't a 925 sterling silver.  Can't wear bronze or copper for the same reasons, don't like stainless, can't stand silicone filled with a 14k candy shell over it (or others).....  so for me, it's been a long dry spell for buying jewelry....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Apple Head wrote:

@meowing kitty wrote:

Good point.   I'm so tired of the resin and bronze jewelry.   I miss the old days when QVC had the best silver and gold jewelry.

Not the best gold.  ShopNBC had that.  Solid 14K & 18K in gram weights in ounces, not grams.

Valued Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Maybe, but remember it takes a long time for the prices you see on the financial news which are future commodity prices to filter down to artists and factories.  Given QVC's big orders, I'd think more than a year.

I like to go to the craft shows during the season here in Florida and I'm not expecting prices to be down much at all -  because of the timing, but also because the metal is only one part of the price of jewelry, and while the metyals are down, most of the gemstones have gone up more than the metals have gone down.

Just want to clarify the type of jewellery I make and its r/t gold prices. I make artisan jewellery that is different from most craft show goods. There is a place for everything and in the beginning I did sell at craft shows.....a long time ago.  My designs are sold in local galleries, boutiques and, my own private trunk shows.  I deal with gem dealers, wholesale metal suppliers, I go to gem show every year. etc.. If gold and silver prices have reached me...why then do the networks still sell as if gold and silver were at their highest???

i don't buy gold from the networks and very little silver, if any because I know I can get the same findings for much less. I do buy some of the upscale costume jewellery from time to time. But, market prices are the same from suppliers of gemstones and metals especially from large buyers. The Q doesn't make most of their jewellery so of course they are dealing with middle men all over the world. For me, there isn't a middle man!

The networks need to get back to what made them in the first place.