Honored Contributor

Re: What does "Artisan Crafted" mean to you?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

No it shouldn't.  To me "artisan crafted" means hand made, not mass produced, and country of origin is irrelevant.

@kaydee50   I'm thinking in the beginning at Q, the Artisan Crafted line WAS individually, handcrafted, but now I'm not too sure. The country of origin is rarely revealed during presentations. I'm not sure if the place it was made is stamped on the inside.

@Shanus    That's true.... there was a man named Jim Sanders who sold turquoise cabachon he cut and polished on eBay.  In his bio he described how he made silver jewelry for QVC in its early years.  I bought a big stone from him and had him make me a ring.  He charged very little and did a beautiful job.  Excellent silversmith.  He lived in Albuquerque at the time.

It's the pointer finger ring in this picture.  Turquoise from #8 Mine. 

Screenshot_20210312-210144_Chrome.jpg

@Kachina624 @Shanus OK.  I want that Old #8 ring!!!!

But if someone runs machinery to make rings, or takes shanks and the settings and hand-sets a stone in them, is it "artisan crafted?"  

How much of the work needs to be hand done?  Are the stones polished or purchased polished?  There are no standards for the term, so you can to all of the work, or very very little of the work and you are still an "artisan" and you are crafting a ring. 

So, no, I put no stock in the term "artisan crafted" when QVC uses it.  Or "hand embroidered" "hand stitched" "hand polished"--give me a break on those too!  

Respected Contributor

Unless you see the person making a piece of jewelry, Artisan Crafted means a person (probably) designed a piece of jewelry which was then mass produced for the public.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

No it shouldn't.  To me "artisan crafted" means hand made, not mass produced, and country of origin is irrelevant.

@kaydee50   I'm thinking in the beginning at Q, the Artisan Crafted line WAS individually, handcrafted, but now I'm not too sure. The country of origin is rarely revealed during presentations. I'm not sure if the place it was made is stamped on the inside.

@Shanus    That's true.... there was a man named Jim Sanders who sold turquoise cabachon he cut and polished on eBay.  In his bio he described how he made silver jewelry for QVC in its early years.  I bought a big stone from him and had him make me a ring.  He charged very little and did a beautiful job.  Excellent silversmith.  He lived in Albuquerque at the time.

@Kachina624   That's a beautiful  ring. I've always loved the more greenish turquoise.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Kachina624   That's a beautiful  ring. I've always loved the more greenish turquoise.

@Sooner   The above compliment is meant for you.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a catch phrase,  On ShopHQ I saw adevertised Samual B Artisan Crafted jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

It doesn't have to be jewelry either....there are all kinds of things that are "artisan crafted" such as woodworking, pottery, glass making, paper craft, quilting, leather craft, fiber craft, etc.

Why would one think it is just jewelry made in certain countries?  Many of us who make handcrafted items that we sell on Etsy like to think of our goods as artisan crafted.

@haddon9 

I've noticed that they are adding "artisan" to several  foods ... bread, stone ground mustard, etc.  I actually picked up the loaf of "Artisan Bread" last week to figure out what they meant by calling it that ... no explanation on the wrapping.

Honored Contributor

I think it is a marketing ploy.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 : I just looked on Etsy and I think Jim Sanders is still there.

Honored Contributor

@patbz   He was working in Amarillo when I was doing business with him, then he moved to the PNW.  He seems to get around a lot. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

To me it means the item probably costs more than I am willing to pay.