Respected Contributor

Re: What does "Artisan Crafted" mean to you?

@banned again wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I used to think it meant made in Bali or Indonesia.

QVC used to have jewelry from other countries in their Artisan Crafted Collection. 

Taxco Traditions - Handcrafted Silver from Mexico premiered on January 19, 1999.

Handcrafted Silver Jewelry from Bali premiered on February 18, 1999.

Handcrafted Silver Jewelry from Thailand premiered on October 3, 2000.

Treasures of India -Handcrafted Silver premiered on December 29, 2000.

Native American Artisan Jewelry premiered on May 16, 2001.

Baltic Mystique -Handcrafted Silver Silver premiered on September 28, 2001.

Artisan Jewelry Treasures from the Silk Road premiered on January 16, 2002.

Treasures of India -Handcrafted 18K Gold premiered on April 23, 2002.

Treasures from Portugal -Handcrafted 18K Gold premiered on May 23, 2002.

Artisan Crafted Jewelry from Jaipur premiered August 23, 2007.

Artisan Crafted Silver Jewelry from Beijing premiered on August 5, 2009.

Artisan Crafted Silver from the Andes premiered on January 27, 2010.

Artisan Crafted Silver from Africa premiered on August 3, 2010.

Lois Hill Artisan Crafted Silver premiered on August 3, 2010.

Artisan Crafted Silver Jewelry from Nepal premiered January 11, 2011.

That's in addition to Western Jewelry, which premiered in May 1988 and was considered part of QVC's global jewelry collection.

Dear DenimandCo,

I am always AMAZED at the amount of QVC facts and information you are able to expertly provide! 

I appoint you Honorary QVC Forum Archivist!!

P.S. What is your secret to access all of this info?!

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper 

Oh that was easy! I just opened QVC Program Guide PDFs I had saved and did a CTRLl+F Search for "Artisan."

Honored Contributor

Artisan crafted has nothing to do with country of origin.

But if you watch QVC you may think it is only from a certain country because the only things (jewelry) they sell has been from Bali, Israel maybe some others.

It just shows there are many horizons beyond QVC.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

No it shouldn't.  To me "artisan crafted" means hand made, not mass produced, and country of origin is irrelevant.

@kaydee50   I'm thinking in the beginning at Q, the Artisan Crafted line WAS individually, handcrafted, but now I'm not too sure. The country of origin is rarely revealed during presentations. I'm not sure if the place it was made is stamped on the inside.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@depglass 

I've always thought it means that the original or prototype was desiged and made  by hand by a skilled craftsman -  no matter what the country of origin.  

When you are selling thousands of an item - must be mass produced.

Same as when they are saying something was hand crocheted - and sell thousands of identical pieces.  

@ALRATIBA   It's similar to selling Josie argan and showing the women craking the nuts. Maybe that was so for the first test batch, but surely with all the products she has now, it's produced in factories by machinery. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Nothing at all to me.  It's two words strung together to make a sales pitch!

Like "greatest", "newest," "revolutionary," etc. etc. 

@Sooner   I know, first hand how long it takes to make one piece of jewelry...no way, these are individually made by hand.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

From the dictionary:

ar·ti·san
/ˈärdəzən/

noun
  1. a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand.
    "street markets where local artisans display handwoven textiles, painted ceramics, and leather goods"

@Kachina624  Yes, that's true when I go to the marketplace in Sante fe and I watch the "artisans" making the pieces right there. I always buy several silver handmade pieces. I'm pretty sure when thousand of prs. of earrings are presented on Q, no one person has the skills (or time) to produce that much inventory. It's Q's misinformation.  

Honored Contributor

A person can be an 'artist' and make something using their hands. That something is 'artisan crafted' which can be anything including jewelry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

No it shouldn't.  To me "artisan crafted" means hand made, not mass produced, and country of origin is irrelevant.

@kaydee50   I'm thinking in the beginning at Q, the Artisan Crafted line WAS individually, handcrafted, but now I'm not too sure. The country of origin is rarely revealed during presentations. I'm not sure if the place it was made is stamped on the inside.

@Shanus    That's true.... there was a man named Jim Sanders who sold turquoise cabachon he cut and polished on eBay.  In his bio he described how he made silver jewelry for QVC in its early years.  I bought a big stone from him and had him make me a ring.  He charged very little and did a beautiful job.  Excellent silversmith.  He lived in Albuquerque at the time.

It's the pointer finger ring in this picture.  Turquoise from #8 Mine. 

Screenshot_20210312-210144_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Jtv has beautiful Artisan of Bali jewelry.