Frequent Contributor

Re: ~Watch Collectors~........December

First time posting here- but I too love watches!  My question is in regards to the 18kt Arte d Oro watch for $6807.  If you compare it to Rolex with the diamond bezel the price can’t be beat- I’d appreciate opinions before dropping that much money.

Many thanks!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi tiara and welcome.   Before checking out the Arte d Oro watch I'll give you some of my general thoughts.....

With a Rolex watch you are paying for the quality of the movement,  generally an Swiss made automatic,  the overal quality of the watch which is also Swiss made, and then if the watch has diamonds,  the quality and weight of the diamonds.   And if it's an 18Kt gold watch,  of course the gold weight.    On top of all this,  Rolex is a well known and premium brand,   so the price you pay is well over the cost of the components.

With an Arte d Oro 18kt gold watch,  you are paying for the gold and the diamonds.   I'll check on the specific specs,  but in general the Arte d Oro watches have quartz movements.

Another way to look at this is that the Arte d Oro watch is a piece of jewelry that tells time.   The Rolex watch is a fine time piece that is also a piece of jewelry.   There is no right and wrong answer,  it's just a question of what someone wants and how much they are willing to spend on it.     For a watch collector the specifications of the watch are important.... the movement,  the material that the 'glass' (or crystal over the dial) is made of,  where the watch is manufactured.    For a jewelry collector the design elements take on more importance.   

Of course,  difference in gold weight and diamond quality and weight will also contribute to price differences.

I'll see if I can find the Arte d Oro watch listing and if I have any other thoughts.

Edited to add:

The Arte d Oro watch is very pretty.   The diamond weight is 1/2 ct.  Given the # of stones,  that means each diamond is about 1 point.... that's small.  There is no information on the quality of the diamonds.   The watch has a Swiss quartz movement,  but there is no info on what movement.  The watch is made in Italy,  so it is not Swiss made,  but rather likely made by a jewelry manufacturer.  The mother of pearl dial is pretty.   The size of the watch case is small.... about 1 inch.   That might be fine,  but many ladies are wearing larger watches these days.  There is no information on the gold weight.

If you provide more info on the Rolex you are comparing it to,  we can identify more things to think about.

Frequent Contributor

Hi all.

Welcome to the new watch collectors.

Just checking in to wish all Happy Holidays and Happy New Year since I'm leaving on Saturday for my South America/Antarctica cruise! I'll be gone until Jan 9. Trying to pack for 75 degree and 25 degree weather all in the same trip is tough! And gala nights, etc.

I'll be taking an automatic watch and my Apple Watch with me so I don't have to worry about the battery conking out.

Hopefully all my annoying medical stuff will be quiet. My eyesight has worsened and I will need cataract surgery in February most likely.

I have a purse question. I have been using the D&B Collins Charleston shopper a lot. It has Vachetta trim. Along the edges of the shoulder strap it is peeling on one handle. Can I do anything about this? I've had the bag a few years.

Dooneyhandle.jpg

Respected Contributor

Dooney might be able to repair/replace the straps for you.  If you send the bag to them (after you return,  after the holidays) they can give you an estimate of the cost.   If they can't fix it then they will usually offer a credit to be used on their site.  The credit is half the retail value of the bag you are trading in.  And the credit can only be applied for up to half the full cost of a new bag.   The info is on the Dooney site.

Another option would be to have a local cobbler replace the straps for you.

Have a great trip.

Trusted Contributor

Have a safe and fun trip, Jazzy.  It will be nice to get out of the winter weather for awhile.  

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY