Respected Contributor

Two weeks ago someone posted about Dean Davidson jewelry. I read the post and commented that I had never heard of the company. So today I got a card in the mail from this company with a 15% off code.  Sort of creepy. 

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey    Did you Google Dean Davidson and then click on a website? I had the same thing happen in November with some mattress companies. That was the first time it had ever happened. Hasn't happened since.

Respected Contributor

I did.  I still don't understand how this would cause something to be sent to me in the mail. Usually if I go to a website I'll get pop up ads. but this was strange to me.  

Respected Contributor

I think there must be some new software out there. I also was concerned about it. USPS has a new service where they mail out advertising postcards for a company. I wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow connected.

Respected Contributor

Ahh, the power of Internet identification and the lack of privacy!

Sometimes I go to cruise websites and look at cruises (I do not sign in), and the next thing I know the cruise line is calling my house!

Really, I think all online vendors can identify us through the IP address, and then if our name, address, email, etc. are publicly available, they can figure out how to contact us.

Yes, a bit creepy, but we just have to be aware that EVERYTHING we do online can be tracked, unless we are a super computer guru/hacker who knows how to switch everything around.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Yes, a bit creepy, but we just have to be aware that EVERYTHING we do online can be tracked, unless we are a super computer guru/hacker who knows how to switch everything around.

@FancyPhillyshopper   No longer true.  Get a VPN (virtual private network).  Try the free ones out (not all options will be available).  If you like what it does, purchase a "lifetime" fee which will be cheaper than paying monthly or yearly.

Strongly suggest you do your due diligence in researhing VPN's prior to using/purchase.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Delete your cookies before and after visiting a new website.

Also disable tracking.  It helps.

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey :  Grrrr, I hate that soooo much...

Valued Contributor

Re: This is strange

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac I have a Nord VPN. Since I got it I have had a lot of trouble signing into QVC, and I have had to reset my account three times. When I tried to buy something over the phone, my Pin was gone, and I've had that Pin over 20 years. It's like they removed my account, credit cards and all.

Not all websites like my having a VPN.

That said, I like having one. But my renewal notice came and it is now $135/year; it was $60 or so when I got it. So I'm rethinking Nord, even though it is easy to install and use. Now they are offering to delete me from the cyber world also (remove my personal information). For $.

One thing I have not tried but am considering is using a VPN location in Britain so I can watch C B Strike season 4, which isn't available here yet. 

Trusted Contributor

Our computers know more about us than we do about ourselves. Now, if only it wouod fold the laundry . . .