Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about Omega backs

Any earring w/ a post can have the omega portion added by a jeweler, as long as the back of the earring is large enough. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made these w/ a post. Too heavy and had to have omega backs added.8CF0561D-89D1-4843-9B42-619290150A3F.jpeg

Respected Contributor

The only 2 earrings (and they of course were pricey ones) I ever lost had omega backs. Must have caught in my hair (twice) and popped open or something but when I went to take them off.... one MIA....hate that. I pass on omega backs now no matter how pretty.

Honored Contributor

I find they hold the earring upright better.  I have thin earlobes, and a larger stud earring always falls forward when I wear post and clutch earrings.  Most of the time I wear tiny snap-bar hoops, but if I need to wear a post earring my preference is the omega back.  I imagine they don't feel pinchy on me because my lobes are thin.  Perhaps they are painful on thicker lobes.

Honored Contributor

Can't wear them.  I have very small ears and ear lobes.  I wear mostly hoops.  The really high end jewelry are the Omega backs. Especially gold.  They have more gold then the other kind of earrings.  They usually are the most expensive anyway. Have a small face, so I wear small stud or small hoops.

Honored Contributor

Not all omega-backs are created equal. Some are not as secure as others and those can be pulled off your ear rather easily so you can lose your earring that way. The ones that feel tight on the ear maybe more secure, but they can also be uncomfortable, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forgot to add that the earrings I made that were posted earlier in the thread were cast, also silver w/ 14K down the center. When omega backs had to be added, I didn't have equipment to accommodate that. I had a jeweler replace the findings. He could also adjust them to my comfort level and I wear them often.