Esteemed Contributor

Could someone please help me? What is the difference between lab grown diamonds and diamonique or absolute? Lab grown diamonds are very expensive, but are they worth the cost?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Lab Grown Diamonds are ACTUAL REAL DIAMONDS - not simulants like Absolute or Diamonique - which are not real at all.

Man made diamonds, also known as engineered or cultured diamonds, are grown in highly controlled laboratory environments using advanced technological processes that duplicate the conditions under which diamonds naturally develop when they form in the mantle, beneath the Earth’s crust.

These man made diamonds consist of actual carbon atoms arranged in the characteristic diamond crystal structure.

Since they are made of the same material as natural diamonds, they exhibit the same optical and chemical properties.

Respected Contributor

There is a lot of discussion about LGDs on all the diamond websites.  

Supposedly LGDs are being marketed as more environmentally friendly, yet their creation process differs by country and can actually involve a lot of wasteful use of energy/resources.

Last year the FTC issued guidelines regarding advertising of LGDs, which you may want to review.

GIA and other labs can tell the difference between natural and LGDs through a radiation process.

Many retailers state that LGDs have low to nonexistent resale value.

Diamonique and absolute are just different names for cubic zirconia, a synthesized man-made material which does NOT have the same properties as natural diamonds. Moissanite is another simulant.

Jewelry is only worth the cost if you are pleased and want to wear it all the time!

Esteemed Contributor

In my opinion a DIAMOND is a DIAMOND!!!

..... all the rest is “make believe” & fake!!!!

Super Contributor

I agree with January121. If it's grown in a lab it's not the real thing. Not to me anyway.

These LGD's cost almost as much as an earth mined diamond. No thank you. I would rather pay a little more to have a real diamond that was not grown in a lab.

Honored Contributor

I don't know the facts about these LGDs, and I keep hearing them mentioned.  However, my current opinion is -- if they are not naturally occurring, then they are not "real" diamomds.  I don't see why they should be allowed to charge such large prices for something which is manufactured and which they try to make people believe are "real".

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Diamonds

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

In my opinion a DIAMOND is a DIAMOND!!!

..... all the rest is “make believe” & fake!!!!

@January121   I'm a snob when it comes to diamonds. I want the real deal. Oh, I have Diamonique for fun, but not to replace my diamonds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

There is a lot of discussion about LGDs on all the diamond websites.  

Supposedly LGDs are being marketed as more environmentally friendly, yet their creation process differs by country and can actually involve a lot of wasteful use of energy/resources.

Last year the FTC issued guidelines regarding advertising of LGDs, which you may want to review.

GIA and other labs can tell the difference between natural and LGDs through a radiation process.

Many retailers state that LGDs have low to nonexistent resale value.

Diamonique and absolute are just different names for cubic zirconia, a synthesized man-made material which does NOT have the same properties as natural diamonds. Moissanite is another simulant.

Jewelry is only worth the cost if you are pleased and want to wear it all the time!

Even real diamonds are kept artificially high.  Tons of diamonds are removed from the earth (and there's plenty more bombarding the earth) and held away from the market.  To keep the price high.  Yes LGD don't keep a very good resale value.  Gem Shopping Network avoids LGD.  Have never shown them. Most women prefer (by a wide margin) mined diamonds to Lab grown.  Some women like them because .....they look perfect.  Nothing wrong with that.  All gem stones and diamonds are in demand that are found in nature.  That's the way it is.  Nature is not perfect.  And people appreciate it.   

Diamonds are everywhere.  Not just the earth,  But in the universe. We found at least 2 planets that are solid diamonds.  Stars have diamonds in them.  They may have been the first mineral ever formed.  There is a "super earth" (triple the size of the earth) made up of solid diamonds

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pattypeep wrote:

Could someone please help me? What is the difference between lab grown diamonds and diamonique or absolute? Lab grown diamonds are very expensive, but are they worth the cost?

Lab diamonds are identical, in every way, to mined-from-the-earth diamonds. Lab diamonds are not cheap but for the quality you get, they are a good option especially if you want stones that are near colorless with good clarity in a larger carat weight. Lab diamonds are not flawless and are graded just like natural diamonds.  Lab diamonds are a good alternative for people who want conflict-free stones.

Diamonique and Absolute are both trademarked names for simulated gemstones which are made of cubic zirconia (CZ). Those are man-made stones engineered to look like diamonds and some colored gems, for instance rubies. CZs may look like diamonds to many people but in fact their physical and optical qualities are very different from diamonds. Their sparkle is not exactly like a diamond. CZs have what is called double refraction which means they look like they have more facets than in actuality and that makes them sparkle more than a diamond.  Diamonds, otoh, have single refraction.

The use of lab diamonds in jewelry has caused quite a stir in the industry, especially in the way they are tested for authenticity. Expensive specialized testing devices are needed to differentiate lab diamonds from natural diamonds. Most jewelers do not have this type of testing equipment and they have to send stones out to get them authenticated. This process is costly and most of them will not do it.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know the facts about these LGDs, and I keep hearing them mentioned.  However, my current opinion is -- if they are not naturally occurring, then they are not "real" diamomds.  I don't see why they should be allowed to charge such large prices for something which is manufactured and which they try to make people believe are "real".

They are not "allowed" to charge high prices. Sellers can charge whatever they want and you are free to buy or not.